Latex Neck Seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I bought my drysuit I was scared to cut mine. I was getting headaches after each day of diving. Finally cut it back a couple rings, still getting headaches. Cut back one more ring, and no more problems. It's comfortable, and no headaches.

Just cut all the way around carefully. It's quite easy. Just get sharp scissors so you're not trying to mutilate the seal.

I bought a Dacor drysuit used. When I got it, the neck seal was cut so jaggedy that I was worried it would instantly split. I trimmed it to the next ring just so it was even. I then took the jagged piece and experimented to see how strong it actually was. This ring went from 3/8" to about a 1/16" with zig zags in it. I could easily stretch it twice the diameter of my head (no comments please!) without breaking. I have used it to show peolple numerous times and it still hasen't broken.
Incidently someone told me that you only need 3/8" to 1/2" of latex lying flat on your skin. More than that and it is probably too tight and will usually roll. Most friends think my neck seal is too loose, but it has never leaked.

Firediver:
Is there anyway of stretching a latex neck seal..?? It's uncomfortable around the neck but the LDS I got it from said as long as your not turning bright red or blue for that matter it's ok. I find it really tight, and after a dive I have a ring left around my neck.. Is there anything I can do about it??

Dang, I'd watch out for that shop, as others have pointed out, a too-tight neck seal is not only uncomfortable, but it can downright kill ya.
Neck seals should be comfy enough to wear for 10 - 12 hours straight.
Latex doesn't take a set like neoprene will, they need to be trimmed.

Again, I'd watch out for anything that shop tells ya from now on.

I'm not sure I could wear a suit as long as Bob3, but he is right about comfort. You should be able to eat lunch if you want without taking it off!

I just took my first dry suit dives and was able to trim my neck and wrist seals. For the neck, I pulled the seal over the top of a tank so that it streached out and then took a razor to trim off 1/8" sections at a time, it went very quickly and now it fits great. For the wrists, I folded a piece of cardboard into a point and pushed it through the arm and out the seal. I was then able to cut it with a razor. Worked very well, I'll post photos soon.

To cut a latex seal you may be able to put the seal over the tank and wrap a banof some sort around the tank to use as a cutting guide (always nice to have some sort of gudie when cutting.

Back
Top Bottom