latex seal repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soundsailer

Reaction score
what's the best way to remove seal saver from a latex seal before glueing on a new seal?
I've read that any silicone on the latex makes it impossible to attach a new seal.

soundsailer:
what's the best way to remove seal saver from a latex seal before glueing on a new seal?
I've read that any silicone on the latex makes it impossible to attach a new seal.
It depends on the suit material, laminated materials with the nylon top covering can soak up the silicone/seal saver, sometimes causing mischief.
With a neoprene suit, or suits using material similar to the Viking Xtreme, you can literally soak the material overnight in silicone/seal saver & still be able to get a frogbutt tight glue job with the proper surface prep.
Proper surface prep (for those suits) consists of a good scrubbing with toluene followed by a scuffing with 36 - 90 grit sandpaper, followed by another wipedown with toluene on a clean rag.
If you keep the seal saver confined to the latex you should have no problems.

I have found good old liquid dish soap and hot water to be a good remover of seal saver. I also wipe with toluene. I find the mesh used for drywall sanding an excellent material to rough up the suit and latex seal surfaces.

regards

Mike D

The LDS in Seattle uses something called MEK. Smells like hell but cleans the surface. Their repair tech let me watch as he repaired my Neck seal.

Dry Diver:
The LDS in Seattle uses something called MEK. Smells like hell but cleans the surface. Their repair tech let me watch as he repaired my Neck seal.

MEK can be found at any automotive paint supply store. It will soften the glue, so removing the old seal is easier.

... liquid dish soap and hot water ...

Just a reminder for folks using strong detergents like dish soap; be absolutely sure to get every last bit of the soap off your seals. When combined with a little oil, even skin oil, it turns into something that will eat your seals, turning them into mush in no more than a couple months.
DAWN is the worst soap, or so I've been told. It's mentioned specifically as something not to be used around latex.

Back
Top Bottom