Layang Layang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A last minute cancellation for my friend's Layang2 trip: 1 - 6 May (Sat thru till Thurs). 30 April in Kota Kinabalu booked 3-bedroom apartments at the Promenade. Package for 6d 5n incl KK-LL return is RM 3,620. Let me know if u r interested, will connect you to my friend...

Darn, would definitely be interested had I not used up all my leave in Maldives when I returned last week, plus a badgered bank account! If I win lotto I will be there in a flash. Plan was to possibly do this next year - but I have already got to see Hammerheads last week!!!

Darn, would definitely be interested had I not used up all my leave in Maldives when I returned last week, plus a badgered bank account! If I win lotto I will be there in a flash. Plan was to possibly do this next year - but I have already got to see Hammerheads last week!!!

Got pics?

Attachments

• P3180977 (1).jpg
    P3180977 (1).jpg
    209 KB · Views: 145
Hi all, I am heading to KK for a week in June and have a few questions about diving in different areas around KK.

Planning to spend maybe 3 days diving TARP, as it's been about a year since I've been in the water and really need a refresher course to get back in the groove.

I understand that the TARP dive sites are all close to KK city, which sounds very nice and convenient, but after a few days, would also be interested in venturing a bit further.

Where else should we go to get a bit more variety?

Would you recommend going to Labuan for a few days? I've read its a 3-hour ferry from KK which is fine for me. I know Labuan is famous for wrecks but my husband only recently got his OW so I'm not sure whether Labuan is a good place for beginners?

If not Labuan, is it possible to do a short trip to Layang Layang? Seems like the Layang Layang resort only advertises 5-day packages... would prefer something shorter (2-3 days).

We have never tried a liveaboard, but am wondering if there are any good ones leaving from KK to perhaps Labuan or Layang Layang? Can do a short liveaboard trip from KK for just two days?

Looking forward to your expert advice and thanks in advance!

The no-fly time on the internal flight from Layang Layang to KK would "eat" into the number of days u can dive... 2 days is definitely not worth the effort & the cost of the internal flight... 3 days - maybe? But personally no...

Hi all, I am heading to KK for a week in June and have a few questions about diving in different areas around KK.

Planning to spend maybe 3 days diving TARP, as it's been about a year since I've been in the water and really need a refresher course to get back in the groove.

I understand that the TARP dive sites are all close to KK city, which sounds very nice and convenient, but after a few days, would also be interested in venturing a bit further.

Where else should we go to get a bit more variety?

Would you recommend going to Labuan for a few days? I've read its a 3-hour ferry from KK which is fine for me. I know Labuan is famous for wrecks but my husband only recently got his OW so I'm not sure whether Labuan is a good place for beginners?

If not Labuan, is it possible to do a short trip to Layang Layang? Seems like the Layang Layang resort only advertises 5-day packages... would prefer something shorter (2-3 days).

We have never tried a liveaboard, but am wondering if there are any good ones leaving from KK to perhaps Labuan or Layang Layang? Can do a short liveaboard trip from KK for just two days?

Looking forward to your expert advice and thanks in advance!

There will be other opinions this but I will give mine.

1) TARP is perfect for refresher courses (sapi island) and convenient as well given how close it is to downtown KK.

2) Labuan: people go to Labuan for wreck dives. At the moment, I think there is only 1 company thats active down there (the name escapes me but they are based at the seasports center, Labuan can be reached by air (30 min flight, prices are about RM158 per way per person, 2-3 flights per day by mas wings and malaysia airlines) and a 3 hour RM35 ferry ride from KK to Labuan.

You only go to Labuan for three reasons; to dive, to drink yourself silly till you drop and for work if you are in the oil and gas industry. Labuan also has cheap chocs, alcohol and sports brands (adidas/nike, 20% cheaper than KL or KK) and hotels are usually packed/sold out on weekends given the number of visitors it gets on weekends.

The wrecks are worth diving and checking out the surrounding islands are also worth the trip if you have the time and don't mind heading down to Labuan from KK.

Diving in labuan is SEASONAL especially during the wet seasons when diving companies do not go out.

2) Layang Layang is pricey given and you should probably check when's the best time to go as it is seasonal; But anyways, you wouldn't fly out to layang layang unless you were there for at least 5 days given the distance and limited flights out there. As XARIATAY has correctly stated, in reality, you are there for 4 days with the 5th being a 18-24 hour recovery period before flying.

It is out at the spartly islands and not nearby to KK.

Thanks a lot for the last two posts.

Yes I imagine TARP are good for getting your feet wet again and racking up some dive hours.

I'll look more into Labuan, I quite like the wreck diving.

I also found that you can do overnight (or longer) trips to Pulau Tiga and Mantanani.

(Have to admit though, with only one "resort" on Pulau Tiga, sounds like it might get a bit boring!)

Anyone been to these two places?

Thanks a lot for the last two posts.

Yes I imagine TARP are good for getting your feet wet again and racking up some dive hours.

I'll look more into Labuan, I quite like the wreck diving.

I also found that you can do overnight (or longer) trips to Pulau Tiga and Mantanani.

(Have to admit though, with only one "resort" on Pulau Tiga, sounds like it might get a bit boring!)

Anyone been to these two places?

I forgot to add, your dive shop in KK should be able to cater to your diving needs. Tell them what you want and put together a plan of action.

Memutik island isn't bad (facing due west, back side of it), western side of gaya island (watch out for strong currents in the afternoons/strong winds in the afternoons), and a dive in front of Sapi island on the pulau gaya side with a jump off at the sabah parks jetty is worth a go especially if you like macro stuff. It is untouched and hasn't been bombed unlike many other spots around gaya/memutik.

Pulau tiga: i haven't been out there in 8 years and I would suggest a day trip out there rather than staying the night. I am only basing my comment on two individuals who were there in the last two years and slated the quality of food and attitude of the management of the "resort" but again, I haven't been out there in ages. Can't comment about the diving as I haven't dived there myself and never really bothered to be honest.

Mantanani is probably a better choice if I had to choose between Pulau Tiga and Mantanani.

Others may have varying comments.

Back
Top Bottom