Layering a 3mm wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outlaw14

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello.

Need advice on whether or not any layering of a 3 mm would be helpful. Scenario: diving off NC in late October to around 100 feet. I have a 3-5-3 suit and a 6mm hood and feel like for the type of diving we would normally be doing that I would be ok. My buddy has a 3mm suit and so far no hood. We both have 1.5 mm Scubapro gloves.

Option 1 - Was thinking that she may want to go with a hooded vest for some additional core protection.

Another option for her would be a regular hood but get some dive skin, .5 or 1mm. Never having used a dive skin, not sure how well it would fit under a well fitting wet suit, is there enough room under there normally to add the extra protection that way?

Our other diving would be off Key West in mid-February, off Lauderdale in March, etc.
Trying not to buy a heavier exposure suit, but work with the ones we have.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Lauren

Personally, I like the hooded vest idea. I have used one with a 3 mil suit in waters in the low 70's and been comfortable, and I'm not terribly warm-blooded.

xcel has a 4.5.6 hooded vest. Its cheap and comfy. I suggest that with your 3mm full. Its the 4 atm you need to consider especially if you are making multiple dives and teh air temps are cooler.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom