Layering Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a fan of layering my suit. I have a 3mm Mares wetsuit for diving in the tropics. (which gives you a hint how warm I like to dive, if I wear any suit in 80 degree water) In Monterey, CA (water temp between 46-55) I wear a 6.5mm one piece, with a 6.5mm hooded vest. I tried my 3mm fullsuit with the hooded vest in a 52 degree pool last year. I got cold after about 10-15 minutes. I could have stayed in longer, but why play in a pool if you're cold? I may try the hooded vest over the 3mm suit if I was diving somewhere in the 70's. For diving in the 60's, 6.5mm full suit (and a regular hood) may be my prefered suit (without the hooded vest).

I think the previous posts were correct that a 3mm suit will leave your arms and legs cold unless you are an uncommonly active diver. (i.e. A long hard surface swim to a dive site you won't stay long.)

I like layering since its easier from what I have seen to put on a thinner suit than a thicker suit. What I use though are two one piece 3mil suits. In cold water(under 55) I use thick gloves, above that I use thinner gloves and I always wear a hood.

I agree about not layering. Although your torso needs the heat, you can't forget about your arms and legs. With layering only your mid section it won't be long before your arms or legs start to cramp up.

I guess I’ll add another question to this thread.

My dive partner and I both have 4/3 suits and 3/2 shorties. We’re diving the full suits right now in Texas, as we like to go to 40’ and it gets a tad chilly (mid 70s I’d think).

We’re looking at diving later in the year, when the surface temp is in the low-mid 70s. We both own 5mm hoods and 2-3mm gloves. We had thought about the following.

Either:

1) Put on the full 4/3 with the shortie 3/2 on top.
2) Put on the 3/2 shortie, with the 4/3 full on top.
3) Buy a 7mm (not that I want to).

Will #1 or #2 work? We’ve not actually tried to do this (was going to put them on dry tonight and see how they fit).

Charley

Back
Top Bottom