Laziness, complacency or is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I'd love to see a tank explode ... :shocked:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... I'd love to see a tank explode ...

I'd rather not :wink:

I guess those rules I have to follow at work about securing gas tanks (not SCUBA tanks) so they don't fall over and the stories about the valve being the weakest point and the risk of breaking it to make an instant home-made torpedo are just urban legends...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I'd rather not :wink:

I guess those rules I have to follow at work about securing gas tanks (not SCUBA tanks) so they don't fall over and the stories about the valve being the weakest point and the risk of breaking it to make an instant home-made torpedo are just urban legends...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Actually I was making a tongue-in-cheek reference to one of ScubaBoard's most popular threads ... but it's not an urban legend. Here's a story from a local shop that happened about six months ago ...

Dive shop explosion sends tank shooting through parking lot | www.kirotv.com

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you need to brake to avoid breaking something, then you need a break...or a brake....
Quite often, first one then the other. Other than animals having to break hard is quite often because were getting inattentive and need a break I guess..

... I'd love to see a tank explode ... :shocked:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Me too, but they only made it spin around like misguided torpedo when shooting at it... :/

Me too, but they only made it spin around like misguided torpedo when shooting at it... :/

... but in the movie it not only exploded, it blew the shark to pieces ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You're gonna need a bigger boat. IJS:D

Re: Teaching to insepct o-ring
Can't speak for other scuba agencies, but I'm PADI instructor and can tell you that PADI teaches people to inspect before every dive/hooking up reg. I emphasize this in class and why it's important.

O-Rings -DIN (supply your own o-ring)
Blown out o-ring risk is one of the reasons I dive, and prefer, DIN. You're always also carrying your *own* (i.e. known state) o-ring with you on every dive.
IMHO it's a shame DIN is not a universal standard. I have found over the years, however, that many countries where yoke used to be the only option (I carry adapter w/me, in BC pocket<g>) that it's more common to have tanks with the removable yoke mount. So I just let the shop know I'd prefer DIN, including not volunteering I have an adapter unless pressed for it, and am usually able to dive DIN.

O-ring recommendations - dive with your own o-ring(DIN) if you're able. :)
Keep extra o-rings in a "save a dive" kit, along with mask/fin straps/etc.

Also, as others have mentioned, I think a lot of people don't dive too frequently and so when they do they're kind'a focused on all the "big stuff" (I reg working, BCD inflating, computer working) and just forget to check. So if/when you notice people not checking, a polite and gentle way of reminding is to verbally say to your buddy - "how's your o-ring look?" / "I've got an extra o-ring if you need to replace" / "Had a leaky o-ring one time..." / etc. I've done this before & then later noticed people pull their regs off & check. A gentle way to share some wisdom/remind good practices & maybe help keep a fellow diver safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom