Laziness, complacency or is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That trail behind a divers head might not come from the tank o-ring though, it might come from the tank valve or the hose or hose o-rings on the first stage.
Regardless, yes the leak is minimal.

Ill tell you one thing though - you REALLY don't want a full out blown tank valve o-ring event when you're at depth with a less than attentive buddy, cause you'll have very little time to get alternate breathing gas supplied, even if the tanks full when it blows.
I've seen it first hand as I was "fortunate" enough to have a buddy experience just that....

Ill tell you one thing though - you REALLY don't want a full out blown tank valve o-ring event when you're at depth with a less than attentive buddy, cause you'll have very little time to get alternate breathing gas supplied, even if the tanks full when it blows.
I've seen it first hand as I was "fortunate" enough to have a buddy experience just that....
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but even with a half full tank, you should have time to ascend or link up with your buddy and ascend. There was a thread saying that at 1/2 a tank you have about 4-5 minutes before your tank runs dry.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but even with a half full tank, you should have time to ascend or link up with your buddy and ascend. There was a thread saying that at 1/2 a tank you have about 4-5 minutes before your tank runs dry.
Not with a blown tank valve o-ring it wont. Not even close...

I do not get bent all out of shape over a leaking O-ring. Anyone who dives in the Caribbean should be accustomed to the occasional leak. I can stay down longer than dead people as it is, why would a few bubbles matter?

Now, if my regulator has a leak, I would be most aggravated, I usually also carry a spare and in some 40 plus years of diving have never needed my spare. Usually I find people who obsess over tank O-ring leaks should worry more about learning how to care for their own gear as a better priority.

N

Not with a blown tank valve o-ring it wont. Not even close...
I think it would...I'll find the thread, and we can discuss it from a standpoint more educated than me guessing at numbers.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2014 at 05:48 PM ----------

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-drain-80-cubic-foot-cylinder-4-failures.html

Yep, Tigerman was right; my memory was faulty. Maybe a minute to 45 seconds at depth.

I am not really concerned with the amount of gas loss, in my opinion it is minimal. I do find the noise annoying and having watched others, the bubble stream to be distracting to others. I will usually check prior the dive and either attempt to correct it by lubing it just replace it. Normally the operator will have one handy but if not I have extras in my bag.

I do not get bent all out of shape over a leaking O-ring. Anyone who dives in the Caribbean should be accustomed to the occasional leak. I can stay down longer than dead people as it is, why would a few bubbles matter?

Now, if my regulator has a leak, I would be most aggravated, I usually also carry a spare and in some 40 plus years of diving have never needed my spare. Usually I find people who obsess over tank O-ring leaks should worry more about learning how to care for their own gear as a better priority.

N

I just don't think I can get accustomed to it. I will stick by how I was trained since I am not an instructor or a very experienced diver. The issue is not so much the bubbles as it is divers who are unaware of their equipment.

in my 4 years of diving I have noticed that the ones who don't notice leaking o-rings are usually using rental equipment. They are the ones who don't notice their SPG or depth gauges aren't working. They are the ones I usually see being towed up by the DM's using the DM's octo. They are the ones diving without computers or bottom timers and I never see look at a dive table.
As for my obsession with a leaking o-ring and my equipment, I assure you I am fully aware of my equipment a status. It is properly maintained and fully serviced. I'm pretty positive that when I see a piece of rubber hanging from an o-ring that it is a high probability that any leak in that area is not my equipment.

I dont understand you relating noticing o-ring issues to not knowing your personal gear, but as stated, I don't have 40+ years of experience.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2014 at 07:08 PM ----------

And I don't mean ALL diver who miss a leaking o-ring using rental equipment are bad divers or clueless. It just seem the clueless ones always outnumber the knowledgable ones.

Just curious, you can change the tank oring while the tank is pressurized? How does that work?

BK

Usually I find people who obsess over tank O-ring leaks should worry more about learning how to care for their own gear as a better priority. N

Could you please clarify what you mean by this?
Every issue that I have ever had with an o-ring has been with rental gear.
I like to think that I take good care of my gear, but I admit that I'm still pretty new to diving so I could be missing quite a few things.

Back
Top Bottom