LDS/Dive Clubs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am learning a lot! Kelpmermaid, I started out wondering about Clubs through shops or if there was such a thing as a club outside the shop. We take classes from a tiny shop that's fairly new (couple years maybe). I haven't heard about any "clubs" and usually the only time we participate or know about weekend dives is when we need to be there. So, I guess we need to ask around about Dive Clubs in our area now that I know there is more out there for get togethers besides dive shops. Once this shop grows, maybe they will have a "Club" also. Guess they are pretty busy with classes. Mike, gave me some good info in regards to the DM. I do offer food or drinks and even bought my instructor a T-Shirt. I suppose it depends on the size of the shop also. Like I said, we buy through our LDS if they carry what we want as long as it's within reason, not internet prices, but reasonably fair. We bought all initial gear during our OW class from our LDS and then some since. We've spent a small fortune! Or so it seems! I get almost as excited as my husband when we purchase a new item! I really appreciate all of the replies.
3 more days and we are off to Florida!
Dawn

Hi, Dawn -- there are independent clubs, clubs affiliated with a store (usually there is some kind of discount offered to members or some other benefit) and clubs that are run by shops... you might want to check Scubasource for listings for a start...

Hi Kelpmermaid, Thanks for the info, I checked out SCUBASOURCE and looked at two in the Chicago Area. I'll keep looking for one closer. Apparently my husband has been talking with others about starting a club in this area.

Dawn,
Another factor in "price" is service; dive gear wears out (or just parts of it do), breaks down, gets sand stuck in it, etc. Do you really have time to drive to another state to get repairs done for free/cheap when your stuff breaks? My LDS of choice does not have the reputation for being cheapest, & they do fix my stuff from elsewhere (for a price), but they really do stand by the stuff they sell me, & that's worth more that saving $100 on last years' model!

Dawn,

I don't know if you ever watch the Texas Swamp Diving Team threads, but we are a very loosly organized club that formed right here on scuba board, same as the Florida conch divers and the Ontario Freash water freaks. We all have one big passion, diving. I really enjoy being part of a club. It has been fun. We welcome most any one and we are a really easy going bunch. There are a number of scuba clubs in Texas. Not all have the same attitudes towards diving that we do. You would have to find whats available and check them out. I do know there are several people from Ky on the board give a shout out and see who surfaces. Start your own club. We don't have dues, a president, or formal meetings. Its really a bunch of friends scattered across the second largest state in the union who enjoy diving. We just had a big club dive Memorial day weekendand all had fun. We are not associated with a shop, but we did tell one shop in Austin we were comming and they gave us a break on air fills (Dive Texas).

My two bits,

Tom

Say Art, maybe for $30 and good service but $100? Women love to shop. Guess we shop differently than men do. Thanks for the reply. True, service is a plus.

Hi Tom, thanks for the info. Where in Texas is your club located? I'll be in Katy (Houston) in July for my nephew's wedding. Maybe we can come dive Texas some time. We really should start our own I suppose. After this trip coming up, I'll start checking out the websites for other dive clubs and get some ideas.

Thanks for all the friendly advice.
Dawn

Sorry Art.chick, I went back and read again. Guess you probably shop the way I do. :D

We are Texas. We have a Houston group, an Austin group and a DFW area group, but we are all members of the same club. Bring your gear down for the wedding and hook up with Dee and the rest of that clan for a dive at Twin Lakes. Drop in on the Texas section of the board and say "hi" and let us know when your gonna be down.

Make your club an NDI (Neptune Divers Inc.) affiliate and take advantage of the bonuses of membership.

Tom

Hi Tom, I will look into this when I return from Florida. Getting down to the wire. Gear is packed for five people, now we need room for some clothes! I will be in Texas 7/11-7/16. Not sure if there will be time for diving this time around due to family plans. But I just read your message to my husband. He's thinking about it. :)

Originally posted by kpauley

After walking into a diveshop and being greeted and being asked about our situation you can feel the temperature drop when you tell them you are taking classes at another shop. I thought it was just me but my girlfriend noticed it too. After the third dive shop experience I completely agree that dive shop's are cliqueish.

It's almost like they are taking it as a personal affront that we went with another dive shop.

Probably they are cold because they know there is a 99% chance that you'll buy your equipment, fills etc. from the shop you took the course at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom