LDS in EAST BAY, SF Bay Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is amazing how much better we feel about our purchases when they come from a clean well laid out store. Being in sales, and always shopping for the discount it is hard to get me to part with my money...but a nice clean store with friendly knowledgable staff can usually get me for a few bucks.

I'm back.

So far, I have seen Original Steele's, Nautilus Aquatics, Captain Aqua, and Cal Dive & Travel.

Steele's, as mentioned before, was a little dingy, and most items weren't even removed from the cardboard shipping boxes. Most of the lights were off in the store...kinda like walking into a stock room. Odd. The majority of the masks that they sold were directly from Seiko, the company who manufactures most brands. That meant good prices overall, but limited selection for color and size.

Nautiuls Aquatics was by far the cleanest, most attractive store of the bunch. Prices were a smidgen higher than the other stores, but the manager (Tim), was extremely helpful and easy to talk to.

Captain Aqua was somewhere in the middle. Not as big of a store, not as nice of an environment, but prices were a bit better. Dave, the manager/owner, is a quirky guy, but means well. Definitely has his opinions on the right/wrong gear.

Cal Dive & Travel is actually where I was certified. They make most of their money on dive trips and certifications, not equipment. Very little stock, and the gear that they do happen to have is listed at MSRP.

Thanks for all the tips thus far. Being able to speak to different people in person has certainly helped my decision-making process out. Sadly, while I would like to support my LDS, the prices are SO much higher than LP and ST, it's tough to do so. In terms of my next cert, I'll be going to Nautilus, without question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom