LDS offers new options in training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Taken from another thread that can be found here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=153194

Long story short the thread talked about how OW training these days is just too fast therefore not adequate started by loosebits, not as an attack on shops or specific agencies.

Most people agreed, even some OW students that had just completed class agreed that the classes were not adequate, others were ok with the short classes, even then, some took short classes just because there was no other option.

To quote Debra owner of DFW's SIS:

" This is a good thread and warrants some great discussion without the typical agency bashing. It almost always boils down to the instructors, shop philosophy and yes staying within the standards set by agencies. It has prompted me to offer a longer class since there are so few shops doing this. It will not be as cheap as shorter classes but I think the benefits will far outweigh the cost.

Chaetodon "

I'm not affiliated with SIS in any way but I wanted to bring attention to this in the swamp divers thread as a lot of people get into diving through friends and relatives, and for those people that are speaking with people considering diving to let them know there is an option besides the short classes, we need to impress upon new divers and non divers considering the sport the importance of good training, and lots of it, I feel, along with several others, that longer more in depth training will resault in more divers that stay with the sport after OW training, our local holes not so silted out, and less damange to delicate environments such as the reefs.

I can not give my opinions on the quality of training at SIS as I have never taken any there, but I do want to give a hand to a LDS that listened to others opinions and is making a very big step up in an attempt to meet some divers needs (or in this case non divers wanting to learn) and even better, provide people with an option besides express classes to those who are willing to commit and want that option, the logistics for making out a longer format work and keep to agency standards I'm sure was not an easy thing to figure out but from the start of the thread I saw this Chaetodon pop up quickly, I was impressed.

So for those of you that know people that are considering diving, please impress upon them the importance of training and that the longer format would be well worth the money spent, you DO get what you pay for, and beyond that there is a saying that used a lot where I"m from

If something is worth doing, its worth doing right the first time

I hope everyone is ok with me throwing a blurb in here as this is a local thing I figured it would be ok within the swampers thread to repeat it, again I don't work for the shop so I'm not trying to promote for the shop so I can get my commision or whatever, just wanted to bring this to everyones attention among locals for the fact that I support this and I appreciate someone stepping up to provide.

Back
Top Bottom