LDS pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys should all feel lucky you don't live in Japan.

LDS's here routinely sell gear for 50-100% markup from MSRP.

Example, a set of Mares Volopower Fins MSRP $169.00 (last I checked) and this shop on Kyushu was selling them for $268.00. I don't think that anyone here would blame me too much for using the internet here.

Scott

Another reason not to move to Japan.

scubapro50:
If you buy anything off the internet you may have a problem getting the stuff serviced. I know several dive shops that if they suspect you of purchasing new equipment online then they don't want anything to do with it. One shop owner I know made the statement "if they want to save a few bucks on it fine .... "sent it back to where they bought it when it breaks or needs service".

I could be wrong but I heard that all authorized Scubapro and Halcyon dealers must also service Scubapro and Halcyon equipment regardless of where it was purchased. I understood it to be a condition of their contract. Anyone know for sure?

I am all for supporting the LDS but I don't enjoy getting bent over. My experience has been that most LDS will come reasonably close to matching online prices especially if the online site is a webfront for a brick and mortar shop. Don't forget to factor in the shipping charges for online purchases when negotiating.

Honestly, regulators and things you need to try on are the only things I recommend buying from LDS's. Regulators becuase they have to get checked/serviced and if you bought it from the LDS they shouldn't have any problems doing it (for a fee), and stuff that you need to try on for the obvious reasons.

Outside of that, pretty much every LDS price is negotiable. You can play hardball by printing off Online websites prices, or even the MSRP price from the manufacture's website, and taking that to your LDS.

You can even do it on the sly, print off the websites Halycon and walk into the shop with it, dont mention the price but make sure it's obvious, and ask them if they have that particular BC becuase that's what you're interested in buying. See how they react... and if they offer something reasonable, go with it. Otherwise... buy online. Remember, something reasonable means you'll be paying what an online store charges, plus shipping, plus maybe something extra for customer service, but it doesn't have to equal the online stores price.

Also, try finding another LDS if they're trying to stick it to you like that.

rawls:
boomster...
I would call around to other dive shops that sell the gear you want...not neccessarily in your area...Just any place that sells SP or Halcyon. If it is cheaper then go back to your LDS and let them know. I will bet they will cut you a deal. I would also ask them why they charge over retail. Call them to the floor with it. Do a little digging and you will get the deal you want.
Of course most of the folks you responded to this post are right: just let your money do the talking, and walk if I don't like it. I guess I just don't like to HAVE TO haggle like this, especially since to do so introduces a tacit stigma. I'm already willing to pay 'boutique' prices (MSRP is 'boutique' pricing IMHO) to support a small shop. To pay more than that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I've done a ton of digging (as is my wont: I usually research prices on aything >$100 like crazy), so I know where to go, but I still 'feel' conflicted about it.

I do really want the 'H' symbols. :crafty:
A failing on my part, I know, but that sorta limits who I can buy from.

krcollins:
Don't forget to factor in the shipping charges for online purchases when negotiating.

Actually, that's a point NOT in favor of my LDS: sales tax on a Halcyon BP/W system is WAY more than anybody will charge me for shipping... even next-day air!:11:

boomster:
I do really want the 'H' symbols.

Can you say shallow.

Like me.

I buy WHAT I want, and if the LDS doesn't carry it, or a resonable facsimile, I buy it online...Hence:

MY LDS didn't carry wetsuits that fit me correctly, I bought it online, They didn't carry computers (well what I wanted) when I wanted one so I bought it online, They didn't carry the bags I wanted...you get the picture..HOWEVER....

They had the regs and BC I wanted and even though I could find them elsewhere for SLIGHTLY cheaper, I opted to buy them from the LDS only because I know that they SERVICE and would be there is I needed something repaired and needed a loner..I got certified through them, and will most likely do MORE classes there. I DIVE with them, they give me breaks on fills, tank rentals etc.....AND their prices are VERY competitive with stores like Divers Direct and LP (mainly on sale) and at times BEAT their prices! (recently I bought a tank with a modular valve with the "H" valve attachment, boot and NITROX sticker, and the price I paid was STILL less than LP's price for the tank alone! CAN'T BEAT THAT!)

The best suggestion is shop around, buy what you need when you need it and decide who is going to serve you BETTER..Price has it's up sides, but the service part of things is going to go a long way! (and pay off exponentially)

LDS vs. Internet is always going to be an argument..but I feel that both can exist with no problems!

boomster:
Actually, that's a point NOT in favor of my LDS: sales tax on a Halcyon BP/W system is WAY more than anybody will charge me for shipping... even next-day air!:11:

I was assuming that you would negotiate an "out the door" price.

krcollins:
I was assuming that you would negotiate an "out the door" price.

Precisely my thought. Just like buying a car: the only price that matters is how much I write the check for.

Anyway, let the discussion continue, but thanks to everyone for basically assuring me I'm not crazy. I also appreciate everyone (and I mean essentially everyone) being really reasonable and thoughtful in their responses.

Back
Top Bottom