LDS - They have a bad attitude.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

movieflick

Reaction score
I have been in many dive shops because I like to look around and from time to time I find something to pick up. So anytime we come by one in our travels I always stop in.

With few exceptions it seems LDS operators are jerks; like it is a chore for them to talk to you and god forbid you ask for something they don't have.

For example I just went to my LDS, and was actually looking to buy a reg and computer for my wife as an anniversary present. I buy all my gear off the Internet but she doesn't want anything that does not come from a dive shop so off I go to spend 20% more for face to face.

I look around the shop while I wait for the customer before me to finish their purchase. He finishes up and I wait for him to say can I help you or something of some sort to let me know he is ready for me , but no, he just stares at me. So I ask,

Me: "Do you cary the Luna"
LDS: "No"... more staring....
Me: "Do you carry atomic regs"
LDS "What"
Me: "Do you carry atomic aquatics re..."
LDS "No" my mid sentence.
Me: "Does anyone in town carry them"
LDS "No I am not an atomic dealer"
Me: "Right but is there anywhere in town that might carry either"
LDS: "No we are the only dive shop on this side of the state"
Me: "oh ok"

and then he just starts to walk towards the back of the shop.:confused:

I have had similar experiences at other shops. Is it me? Maybe I am coming across in a rude way? Anyone else have this issue?

Perhaps he knows that you buy all of your gear on the Internet. That tends to make a lot of dive shop owners feel that you're only there to window shop ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lol. No but I have only been in there once before to have a reg serviced. That was 3 years ago so my buying habits would not have been something he knows. This is not the only place I have run into this type of thing.

I've observed the same thing but I can be gruff and know it.

In this instance it could just be the approach.

In the scenerio you gave, the first question tells him he won't be able to help you and there for has no chance to make a living.

The second question makes confuses him as you may be more knowledgable...

and the third just confirms his first thought... no chance of a sale here.

A different approach:

"I'm looking to purchase a reg set for my wife as a present."
"Well we have a couple great options for you, step on over here."

I have been in many dive shops because I like to look around and from time to time I find something to pick up. So anytime we come by one in our travels I always stop in.

With few exceptions it seems LDS operators are jerks; like it is a chore for them to talk to you and god forbid you ask for something they don't have.

For example I just went to my LDS, and was actually looking to buy a reg and computer for my wife as an anniversary present. I buy all my gear off the Internet but she doesn't want anything that does not come from a dive shop so off I go to spend 20% more for face to face.

I look around the shop while I wait for the customer before me to finish their purchase. He finishes up and I wait for him to say can I help you or something of some sort to let me know he is ready for me , but no, he just stares at me. So I ask,

Me: "Do you cary the Luna"
LDS: "No"... more staring....
Me: "Do you carry atomic regs"
LDS "What"
Me: "Do you carry atomic aquatics re..."
LDS "No" my mid sentence.
Me: "Does anyone in town carry them"
LDS "No I am not an atomic dealer"
Me: "Right but is there anywhere in town that might carry either"
LDS: "No we are the only dive shop on this side of the state"
Me: "oh ok"

and then he just starts to walk towards the back of the shop.:confused:

I have had similar experiences at other shops. Is it me? Maybe I am coming across in a rude way? Anyone else have this issue?

Atomic Aquatics allows online sales through authorized dealers. If you want an Atomic reg, just order it online. I suppose you could look up dealer info on Scubapro's website if you wanted to check out the Luna BCD in real life.

It sounds like you've had bad luck with the sales staff at dive shops. I've been to a number of dive shops in my local area that have helpful, friendly, knowledgeable staff. Luck of the draw?

Perhaps you need to revise your approach. Instead of walking in to ask about Brand XYZ, you could discuss with the salesman the features of the scuba gear that you're interested in purchasing. It's possible that a brand you aren't familiar with could meet your needs. Start the conversation with a more open-ended question ("I'm looking for a reg that has...What do you recommend?) rather than a yes/no question.

Last edited:
I'm just shocked to hear this (not really).......

Maybe we live in the same town? Oh wait, you just have 1 DS, I have a number of them that are that way.... sorry, my bad.

@Codiak - Well I am not sure it is up to me to assist him in making his sale. For instance the shop I used to go to in CO always says hi when I walk in. If they are busy they would say be with you in a few mins. When ready they would say how can I help you. I state what I am looking for. If they did not have it they would offer to order it. If they could not order it they would say we don't have that but what are you looking to do and then show me alternatives they do have in stock.

You are right. I did know the exact setup I wanted but that is not to say he could not have made a case for something that was on hand and sold me. Also he is a scubapro dealer so I am not sure why he did not offer to order the Luna for me?

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom