LDS - They have a bad attitude.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is the smoke and mirrors accounting that shops use when they present the argument that they lose $$ on fill.

They are not including their own use of their compressor to fill their training and rental tanks. For many shops, that is the majority of their compressor usage.

The idea that filling divers tanks for their standard fee results in a lose of money for the shop is BS.

I disagree. The compressor is an expense over a profit generator. It's biggest attraction is convenience to the shop as you noted and to attract divers to the store to move retail merchandise.

Why would someone offer a service they lose money on? If you do fills to get people in the door then in a way it is an advertising expense. Would you treat people like crap that say they came into your shop because they saw your ad in a magazine then go on to complain how you lose money running all those ads?
Fuel stations make very little money per gallon of gas they distribute and most everything in the store is marked up to turn a profit. That's the game.

As I stated before, there is NO excuse for a rude shop owner and I can't justify anyone else's reactions or experiences.

This is just my experience.

I disagree. The compressor is an expense over a profit generator. It's biggest attraction is convenience to the shop as you noted and to attract divers to the store to move retail merchandise.

The compressor is an expense that a dive shop must bare because it is required by some training agencies and some manufacturers in order to affiliate and receive products. Any shop that sells air for less than it costs them to pump it is too stupid to survive unless pumping that air produces profit in other areas from those customers buying air.

Buy more from the internet, it's gotta make a living too. :wink:

The compressor is an expense that a dive shop must bare because it is required by some training agencies and some manufacturers in order to affiliate and receive products. Any shop that sells air for less than it costs them to pump it is too stupid to survive unle2ss pumping thatet air produces profit in other areas from those customers buying air.
Your information in regards to affiliation and compressor ownership is flawed on many levels and I've mentioned at least twice that it does in fact produce profit in other areas by attracting customers to the retail side of the house. You are certainly entitled to your opinions but they are not based in experience or fact as you have clearly displayed. I have no desire to work through how you "think" things should be. If you have the potential business plan for the industry success feel free to put down the keyboard and put up the capital.

LDSs made their beds long before the internet with price gouging, etc. Then along came catalogs (anyone remember Performance Scuba) and the dawn of the internet with.....shock....competitive pricing. LDSs, bed made...now sleep (i.e Rest In Peace) soundly....

When prices (profits) rise, competitors are attracted to the market. And then it becomes survival of the fittest. And inefficient dive shops are less likely to survive in a competitive market.

Sometimes prices go up when demand and profits fall.

I haven't read the thread but Mormons have bad attitudes? Never heard that before. :)

Ha! No, you may have spelled that wrong. Here we're talking about the Church of Price Gouging of Local Dive Shops....the Morons....

Ha! No, you may have spelled that wrong. Here we're talking about the Church of Price Gouging of Local Dive Shops....the Morons....

I think if I were a shop owner I'd find ScubaBoard hard to take sometimes ... sure, there are some poorly run shops out there, but there are some really good ones too.

It'd be nice if we'd judge them individually, rather than using the occasional bad example to paint every dive shop owner out there as a "moron" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom