LDS vs. Online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally use my LDS, because I have known them LOOOOOOOOOOOONG before there was online shopping and have a personal relationship with them. Nothing against online services at all, I do shop online for various things.

I also am a big guy, 6'-4", 230lb.+ so fit is often an issue and being able to go to them and try stuff on is a big plus. I wouldn't feel right just using them for a "fitting room" and then going online an ordering the same product. Price is of course an issue, but they have always been good about having fair prices and even giving discounts to keep your business, I'd rather give my money to someone I know.

LDS's seem to be suffering nowdays, I know mine's business is really slow and they have been around for something like 20 years or more. I'd hate to see them close, a lot of folks depend on them for tank rentals & maintenance and the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is so spread out, it's nice not to have to drive an hour just to have to rent a tank.

Louie:
Excellent point.

I was rather perturbed by how the term "unethical" was being thrown about. My understanding of unethical was something to do with conduct (not quite illegal) with serious consequences - so very questionable morally.

Now, trying on equipment in a shop after having compared online could hardly be deemed unethical. At worst, it's being an annoying customer - and anybody who's worked in a dive shop has experienced many.

Technology has changed the marketplace and the way we do business - dive gear and everything else. Those who have been successful are those who'd adapted AND continued to provide good prices, service and customer satisfaction.

I am in complete agreement with Louie.

I run an IT business and every now and then some of my customers would purchase items from somewhere else and get into problems and then come back to me for help. What do I do ?
I certainly do not chastise them, belittle them or punish them with punitive service charges. Why ? Because to me they are still my customers.

I work on their problems to give them the best solution as i would with all my customers. In fact I try a lot harder and explain to them their situation and options open to them. The reason why I do this is because in my view, this customer is giving me a second chance to convince them of the value which I can deliver and justify my higher charges. This is something which I must have failed to do the first time round and I am grateful for another opportunity.

My LDS does not carry everything I use . The owner would try to convince me to use his stuff ,failing which he would often point me in the direction to get what I want and also advise on what price to expect. He has even sat down with me to check out Ebay and advised me on which item is worth bidding for. I take the items which I have bought on Ebay to him for service and he charges me for it and then we often go out and have a drink.

To those LDS owners who feel that someone is trying out their gear and may purchase online, I would say tell the customer what added value you can deliver and ask for the opportunity to do the sale. The guy in your shop gives you the opportunity to convince him of your value.

The internet is here to stay and it's impact on aspects of all our lives is going to become increasingly pervasive. All businesses including LDS across the world will have to come to terms with this not so new reality and adjust their value proposition to their customers.

Louie, where are you going to ? I like Vancouver !!!

Maybe I am the weird one, but I truly believe in supporting my local buinesses and my community. I would rather give my money to a neighbor than some faceless person on the other side of the country. I also dont eat out out places like Carabas, Applebees, Don Pablos, etc...

Somehow I figure if all the locals get trashed by the national chains then soon every town in the United States will look exactly the same. Some of them around here do already.

matts1w:
Maybe I am the weird one, but I truly believe in supporting my local buinesses and my community. I would rather give my money to a neighbor than some faceless person on the other side of the country. I also dont eat out out places like Carabas, Applebees, Don Pablos, etc...

If every one in the world were hold your views then people in other countries would not be eating at Macdonald's, or drink Coke, or fly in Boeing planes ,or dive with Scubapro gear and then many of your neighbours will be out of work.

I am that person you referred to in your post only that I am not on the other side of the country; - I am on the other side or the world and I am not faceless. I have a face...really !! It may not be very pretty but I do have one if you care to look. I buy online now and then and I send (not give) my payment to your other neighbour and he makes a profit. I don't suppose that is something you would discourage. I also buy things online from people in England who in turn buy stuff from another of your neighbours who also makes a profit .

Your immediate community is only a small part of the global community and the advancements in communications and the internet has open up vast and new opportunities for everyone and holds to potential to improve the lives of a great many more people across the world. This is the new reality and one cannot close one's eyes and hope it will go away.

Like you, I too like to support local businesses but then these local businesses must be deserving and provide the added value to justify the premiums. They cannot depend on blind loyalty and demand such loyalty without addressing what is important to the customers. Otherwise, that they will go under is a matter of time , with or without your support. You are not doing them any favours prolonging their weakness or ability to compete. If one is not prepared to compete then the person should not be in business.

Isn't the internet wonderful ? How would it have been possible for us to exchange our views when we have not seen each other's faces. Online exchanges adds to our ability to say 'wow, what aride '!!!!

Friends, let me know what you think, and I'll hang up. I am looking to buy a regulator for my daughter. Those words "life support equipment" really come to mind. I like the young guys at the local shop. Eager to please, but they don't set the prices. They have an entry-level regulator for $190. The "life support equipment" idea again comes to mind. For the same money, off the web, I can get her a balanced, environmentally sealed, Navy approved regulator that appears more robust. I'm figuring out this choice. What would you do?

Stu S.:
Friends, let me know what you think, and I'll hang up. I am looking to buy a regulator for my daughter. Those words "life support equipment" really come to mind. I like the young guys at the local shop. Eager to please, but they don't set the prices. They have an entry-level regulator for $190. The "life support equipment" idea again comes to mind. For the same money, off the web, I can get her a balanced, environmentally sealed, Navy approved regulator that appears more robust. I'm figuring out this choice. What would you do?

While the initial acquisition cost is important, you need to think beyond that - maybe through 5 or more years of ownership. A reliable entry level reg will fully satisfy a lot of diving needs. Features like balanced and environmentally sealed may give better performance, particularly under more strenuopus conditions, but they may actually detract from reliability. I suggest you shop around and find the best value for your requirements.

I paid for scuba cert, and other specialty courses at my LDS, and when I asked them if they would come off the list price on the $1500 in scuba gear I was ordering, they said they would give me a free key chain! They wouldn't come a dime off their inflated list prices.

As a new diver, I was concerned about safety and warranty protection. Some manufacturers say they won't honor a warranty unless purchased at an authorized LDS, and that concerned me, so I bought the the gear from my LDS anyways, knowing I could have gotten a better deal online.

The sad part is that my LDS won't even give me the time of day unless I buy something. Even then, it's like pulling teeth just to get any kind of a demo or info, befor I buy it. The sales guys walk around with their top of the line Suunto computers, that they get to buy for wholesale, and brag that they get a new one every year, while I have to pay $899 from them if I want one.

The key here is GREED. Sell your gear, make your profit, but give me a fair deal. Don't take my money and run, because you are the biggest LDS around, and know you can get away with it. Customer service should be a priority.

That's why I now buy from places like Diver's Direct, Divers Discount, and Dive Rite Express. I use my LDS for training, small gear, masks, fins, air fills, etc. where a $20.00 price difference is no big deal.

I believe the relationship between an LDS and divers should be a team effort. We need training and scuba gear, the LDS needs us. It should be a fair trade off with decent prices in return for loyal customers. When the LDS chooses to gouge a diver, we often have no choice but to shop online, because we NEED the gear.

wrek:
I paid for scuba cert, and other specialty courses at my LDS, and when I asked them if they would come off the list price on the $1500 in scuba gear I was ordering, they said they would give me a free key chain! They wouldn't come a dime off their inflated list prices.

As a new diver, I was concerned about safety and warranty protection. Some manufacturers say they won't honor a warranty unless purchased at an authorized LDS, and that concerned me, so I bought the the gear from my LDS anyways, knowing I could have gotten a better deal online.

The sad part is that my LDS won't even give me the time of day unless I buy something. Even then, it's like pulling teeth just to get any kind of a demo or info, befor I buy it. The sales guys walk around with their top of the line Suunto computers, that they get to buy for wholesale, and brag that they get a new one every year, while I have to pay $899 from them if I want one.

The key here is GREED. Sell your gear, make your profit, but give me a fair deal. Don't take my money and run, because you are the biggest LDS around, and know you can get away with it. Customer service should be a priority.

That's why I now buy from places like Diver's Direct, Divers Discount, and Dive Rite Express. I use my LDS for training, small gear, masks, fins, air fills, etc. where a $20.00 price difference is no big deal.

I believe the relationship between an LDS and divers should be a team effort. We need training and scuba gear, the LDS needs us. It should be a fair trade off with decent prices in return for loyal customers. When the LDS chooses to gouge a diver, we often have no choice but to shop online, because we NEED the gear.

LDS
BC = $850
Reg = $300 each!
Manifold = $300
Suunto = $450

On de evil net
BC = $400
Reg = $129 each
Manifold = $169
Suunto = $289

And on and on and on...let me think about where I should buy my gearz?

429 nanoseconds later I'm typing my Visa number into the computer....

narcT:
LDS
BC = $850
Reg = $300 each!
Manifold = $300
Suunto = $450

On de evil net
BC = $400
Reg = $129 each
Manifold = $169
Suunto = $289

And on and on and on...let me think about where I should buy my gearz?

429 nanoseconds later I'm typing my Visa number into the computer....

What reg are ya gettin' for 129 dollars?

Stephen Ash:
What reg are ya gettin' for 129 dollars?

Alpha 7/SP4 which has gone down to $124.95 (I just checked). Breaths very nice at 130.

But I would probably get the new Alpha 8/SP5 now for $199 (wasn't out when I bought mine). This one meets Navy Class A standards at 198 feet.

Back
Top Bottom