LDS won't viz my tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't mind paying someone to be treated like fodder, you probably won't make the drive. But if you want excellent service from an experienced staff, you'll make the drive. An hour's drive just isn't that far in context of how long it takes to get around the city for anything else.

It's very difficult for an LDS to match the online retail prices of shops like Leisure Pro, the sales volume just isn't there for the LDS. The online stores generate very large savings for the customer over the typical LDS pricing, which the diver can spend on diving. The LDS should know that and compensate with excellent in-store service, training, and trips rather than some misguided dictatorial customer loyalty concept. The LDS in this thread has a deranged business model that can't survive in a modern retail environment.

The successful LDS of the future is going to have to find ways to compete with online gear sales. That does not mean meet or beat the online prices. But it does mean that they must make any price difference a tertiary consideration. I don't believe the LDS that totally gives up on large gear sale can survive. But they must find a way to make it on a smaller markup. That way may include dropping lines that provide wholesale price discounting that heavily favors the large online retailers. Buying cooperative perhaps.

The successful LDS of the future is going to have to find ways to compete with online gear sales. That does not mean meet or beat the online prices. But it does mean that they must make any price difference a tertiary consideration. I don't believe the LDS that totally gives up on large gear sale can survive. But they must find a way to make it on a smaller markup. That way may include dropping lines that provide wholesale price discounting that heavily favors the large online retailers. Buying cooperative perhaps.

It takes money to make money. While the online guys really save by not having some of the overhead we have, it's still possible to be successful. It starts with top notch customer service. Example: Our store has every little tid bit, silly, goofy, nit nack, specialty item you could possibly want for scuba. Someone might have a 40 year old fin that takes some crazy strap, unlike any other. Guess what, we got a strap for that. And that's a stupid example, but you get my meaning. Also, lots of manufactures run deals like - Buy 8 complete sets of gear, and we'll give you 2 sets free- Well, if you bought 24 sets and got 6 for free are you able to be competitive now? Yup. But you gotta have money to do that.

But, that fact of the matter is this: You could have all the best gear in the world at the best prices in the world. If you're a jerk, people aren't going to buy from you. If you have crappy customer service, but the best prices on the planet, some people aren't going to buy from you. Imagine this... Walmart vs. Publix. Walmart is a terrible shopping experience, but the cheapest prices around. Publix on the other hand has the best customer service anywhere. They'll do anything for you, but their prices are significantly higher. Do people still shop at Publix? Yes.

Look we local dive shops aren't going to make it if we just work the numbers game. But, if we provide excellent customer service, price won't matter. And for us, it doesn't.

:)

It takes money to make money. While the online guys really save by not having some of the overhead we have, it's still possible to be successful. It starts with top notch customer service. Example: Our store has every little tid bit, silly, goofy, nit nack, specialty item you could possibly want for scuba. Someone might have a 40 year old fin that takes some crazy strap, unlike any other. Guess what, we got a strap for that. And that's a stupid example, but you get my meaning. Also, lots of manufactures run deals like - Buy 8 complete sets of gear, and we'll give you 2 sets free- Well, if you bought 24 sets and got 6 for free are you able to be competitive now? Yup. But you gotta have money to do that.

But, that fact of the matter is this: You could have all the best gear in the world at the best prices in the world. If you're a jerk, people aren't going to buy from you. If you have crappy customer service, but the best prices on the planet, some people aren't going to buy from you. Imagine this... Walmart vs. Publix. Walmart is a terrible shopping experience, but the cheapest prices around. Publix on the other hand has the best customer service anywhere. They'll do anything for you, but their prices are significantly higher. Do people still shop at Publix? Yes.

Look we local dive shops aren't going to make it if we just work the numbers game. But, if we provide excellent customer service, price won't matter. And for us, it doesn't.

:)

I'm sure there are a few customers for whom price does not matter - but not many. Not enough to keep local shops in operation when their prices are 50 to 80% higher than online shops on major items.

I have yet to find any major online retailer that does not also have a store front and operate as an LDS. I suspect most of them have higher overhead than local only shops. (Some may even be operating warehouses.) But their business is probably much more efficient so their overheat is a smaller proportion of their income.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out buying stuff online, and price shopping the plethora of dive shops within 15 minutes of my house. I've now come around and decided it's worthwhile to me to frequent local shops. I've had so many good experiences in in local dive shops.

I bought a scubapro reg online this year to take advantage of the "2012" model price break. I could only find the YOKE model and wanted din so I paid one LDS to convert it. That's the only LDS I won't return to because they behave a lot like the shop in this thread. Later when I had trouble with the reg, I brought it to another local scubapro dealer. This dealer not only covered the parts to fix it under warranty, they did the repair in front of me so I could see the guts of my reg. Showed me what was wrong, covered the parts under scubapro warranty and did not charge me a dime for labor.

Since then, I've bought numerous items from them including a $900 Galileo computer and probably spent the same in miscellaneous stuff. Today, I spent 35 bucks for a power inflater that goes for $19 online. Fully knowing the online price before I walked in the door.

That type of customer service is how a scuba shop stays in business. My only problem is that I shopped around so much I found several local shops who do things just as well. I still buy items I can't find locally online. Such as the Edge dive light I bought from DRIS not long ago. Most of my money goes to an LDS now, because of the customer service.

This shop owner seems like a total a-hole who thinks he is a gift to the local diving community. I guarantee that when this guy buys a laptop, he goes online or to Walmart or Costco..... instead of Carls Computer Shack down on the corner.

I would probably go back in there when I knew he was there and pick out all new gear. New regs, pony, 4 tanks, bc, drysuit and a bunch of accessories.. When he asks me whats up......... I'd tell him tell him that I had thought long and hard about what I had done and everything he said and that I wanted to do something about it. I'd put everything on the counter and tell him to add it all up. While he's adding.... I'd say..."so are we totally cool with everything now?" When he says "we sure are" ... I'd say... "that's what I thought...just wanted to verify whether you really mean what you say or if you are just a profit whore."

Then I'd leave everything there on the counter for him to put away, walk out and never go back. I'd rather drive an hour for a fill than to be this guys exception.

Then I'd leave everything there on the counter for him to put away, walk out and never go back. I'd rather drive an hour for a fill than to be this guys exception.

The problem is that you're not driving an hour once every 10 years to pick up another reg or computer. I wouldn't care about that.

The OP bought a tank. He'll be driving there every week forever (depends on how frequently he dives).

If this guy really has the only place to get air fills, he pretty much owns the market. However, I'm willing to bet that he doesn't. He may have the only SCUBA shop,, but there's almost certainly a local industrial/medical gas supplier that would be happy to fill the tanks, and any DOT registered hydro facility can hydro them and do an internal inspection and an eddy current test.

flots.

I know the shop. In future, you are best to go to him armed with the online price and give him a chance to compete. He can give you very good prices, often better than what you can get online.

For you current issue, you would be best to remind him that your membership comes with a discount on purchases and service, and as such he is not entitled to deny you service.

If this guy really has the only place to get air fills, he pretty much owns the market. However, I'm willing to bet that he doesn't. He may have the only SCUBA shop,, but there's almost certainly a local industrial/medical gas supplier that would be happy to fill the tanks, and any DOT registered hydro facility can hydro them and do an internal inspection and an eddy current test.

flots.

Here's one you could try:

call-us.png

products.png

medical-gas-banner.jpg

Camcarb is a licensed provider of a full range of qualified medical gases. Medical cylinder gases are delivered locally from our plant located in Toronto Ontario. In addition, bulk and MicroBulk medical gases are available as well as the all in one oxy-tote, portable oxygen system.

• arrow.png
    Breathing Air
  • arrow.png
    Helium
  • arrow.png
    Medical CO2

• arrow.png
    Medical Oxygen
  • arrow.png
    N2
  • arrow.png
    Nitrous Oxide

I know the shop. In future, you are best to go to him armed with the online price and give him a chance to compete. He can give you very good prices, often better than what you can get online.

Now that right there is how all of this could been handled better.

OP probably should have giv'n the shop a chance to match or come close to the online price. But for whatever reason, he didn't, and that's 100% his business.

In this case when the OP went to get his tank vip'd, the shop owner should have simply said... "next time you want to buy something new, how about giving me a chance to earn your business...I'm try'n to make a liv'n here." and then vip'd the tank with a smile....and tossed in a free airfill. That's how you earn a lifetime customer.

It's the "my way or the highway" attitude that would have put me off.

If someone does you right, you're gonna tell some folks. If someone does you wrong, you're gonna tell EVERYONE.. Maybe even go on a popular forum!

If the nearest shop is an hour away, maybe the OP should just get a VIP inspection cert, start up a dive club and get a bunch of folks to go in on a compressor. Then they won't need the diveshop.

I've purchased much of my current rig used, eBay has been the reason I can dive right now without renting anything. And every piece I've bought that would need servicing has ben through that shop for an inspection and/or service; and I've never gotten an iota of attitude about it. When I replace my 20-year old, former rental wetsuit, they will be the first place I visit. Pretty much anything I've bought new that they carry, I've bought there.

Not only have they been good to me, understanding that I will buy used when I can, but when I did Dive Around the Clock , they donated the air and loan of 4 tanks for my 4 dives.

I'd drive the hour each way, just to buy an o-ring to avoid this owner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom