Learning to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Thanks everyone for your feedback. I especially appreciated how each of you laid out the accurate way to converse with fellow divers to decied whether they are cautious or reckless. Simple behaviors will reveal alot about a divers training and attitude.

I will fill out my profile today but for the record, I am from New York. I live in Long Island but work in NYC. I am training at Pan Aqua in NYC. This is a great dive shop and the instructors are geniune. My long terms goals is to do wreck diving. A girl's gotta dream. I am already certified in CPR and First aid but look forward to advance diving classes along the way.

In the mean time, I will finish my class and look forward to taking my first dives sometime in May. Looking forward to making a splash and perfecting my skills. Once I have a few dives under my belt and feel comfortable with my new skills I hope to join a club.

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome.

Hello Piscesbaby, my name is Matt. I would like to welcome you to ScubaBoard!

Take care and Safe Diving. :butnhome:

Click here to greet a new member!
:thumb:
No experience needed and it feels great!

You've already gotten a lot of good advice, but I may be able to add a little more.

My wife has ear problems that her prevent her from diving, so when we go on vacations, I am frequently walking onto boats without a buddy. I have had experiences that ranged from excellent to mediocre, but I have never had a really bad experience. (I would say I have had a "stranger" buddy on perhaps 160 dives or more.)

When I first did, this, I was a bit insecure and let the buddy take the lead at every step. As a result, I don't think I did more than a handful of predive safety checks on my first 30-40 dives like this, and that lack of attention to protocol spilled over into the dives. Now, as soon as I have a buddy, I initiate all of that stuff. I show him/her my set up, weight system, alternate air, releases. I talk about the signals I use. I ask about preferred lead/follow patterns--whatever is appropriate to the dive site. I do this in a friendly, chatty sort of way, not as an authority figure. I act as if I assume my buddy wants to share this information with me, and once I break the ice, it all comes out in a pleasant conversation.

I think the most important result of his strategy is that it reminds my new buddy of our mutual obligations for one another. He/she knows I am going to be "by the book," and it instills a sense of obligation to be at least somewhat the same.

There was a good magazine article about a month ago in scuba diving magazine about questions to ask your prospective dive buddy. Ask questions, go over hand signals, and understand one anothers approach to diving.

mred:
There was a good magazine article about a month ago in scuba diving magazine about questions to ask your prospective dive buddy. Ask questions, go over hand signals, and understand one anothers approach to diving.

I doubt the original poster is going to see this. They haven't logged in since 04-13-2005. Just thought I'd mention it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom