Least expensive nitrox certification option in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok..... so even at the risk of getting flack from all the self proclaimed "gurus" on this forum......my opinion is that Nitrox (32%) training is a joke.

1) Set your computer to 32%

2) Go diving, breath in, breath out......repeat as needed.

3) Don't exceed the prescribed MOD (111ft)

4) Follow your computers directions for deco info and subsequent dives.

Viola!!!!!!! You are now a Nitrox diver!!

PS.... There is no need for any additional care or "cleaning" of your regs or tanks for 32%.

Sure am glad a real guru chimed in here 🙄

Everything you need to know about recreational nitrox is actually covered on this single short web page. It's in meters, but because 1 bar = pressure of 10m of water by definition, IMO it's much easier to use meters for the calculations and do any conversions to feet (or feet to meters) separately.

All that's left is a little practice in using the analyser.

Everything you need to know about recreational nitrox is actually covered on this single short web page. It's in meters, but because 1 bar = pressure of 10m of water by definition, IMO it's much easier to use meters for the calculations and do any conversions to feet (or feet to meters) separately.

All that's left is a little practice in using the analyser.
That's a really good summary, thanks for sharing!

Everything you need to know about recreational nitrox is actually covered on this single short web page. It's in meters, but because 1 bar = pressure of 10m of water by definition,
From what I can find on line that is not correct, in that the pressure at 10 meters is only approximately 1 bar. It isn't the defining standard.

From Bar (unit) - Wikipedia:
  • 1019.716 centimetres of water (cmH2O) (1 bar approximately corresponds to the gauge pressure of water (not absolute) at a depth of 10 meters).
Also, the ratio of depth to pressure is a bit different for fresh vs salt water because salt water is denser. I assume the above statement is for fresh water.

From what I can find on line that is not correct, in that the pressure at 10 meters is only approximately 1 bar. It isn't the defining standard.

From Bar (unit) - Wikipedia:
  • 1019.716 centimetres of water (cmH2O) (1 bar approximately corresponds to the gauge pressure of water (not absolute) at a depth of 10 meters).
Also, the ratio of depth to pressure is a bit different for fresh vs salt water because salt water is denser. I assume the above statement is for fresh water.
The density doesn't matter because in the context of decompression theory and practice, meters (or feet) of water, whether salt or fresh, is a pressure measurement, not a depth measurement. The algorithms and your gauges (including your dive computer) all use pressure, not actual depth. They display it in meters or feet because that's how we think, but the depth shown on your computer is just an approximation of your actual depth.

This should be somewhere on wikipedia.... Here we go:

"The metre (or meter) sea water (msw) is a metric unit of pressure used in underwater diving. It is defined as one tenth of a bar.

The unit used in the US is the foot sea water (fsw), based on standard gravity and a sea-water density of 64 lb/ft3. According to the US Navy Diving Manual, one fsw equals 0.30643 msw, 0.030643 bar, or 0.44444 psi,[1][2] though elsewhere it states that 33 fsw is 14.7 psi (one atmosphere), which gives one fsw equal to about 0.445 psi.[3]

The msw and fsw are the conventional units for measurement of diver pressure exposure used in decompression tables and the unit of calibration for pneumofathometers and hyperbaric chamber pressure gauges."

You forgot about analyzing your tank, and that ll Nitrox is not 32%, and that three is a "why" behind the MOD, and that too much O2 can be harmful, as well.

Yep..... totally agree...... All of that information is not difficult to understand and available online for little to no cost

Don't forget to calibrate it.

Yes.... if you choose to have your own analyzer make sure to read and understand the calibration instructions that came with it...

Basically, I was wrong to say that Nitrox training is a joke. The training IS important. The real "value" of the course is getting the card so that you can get the fills.

So you just assume that if a shop hands you an analyzer to use, that they calibrated it before handing it to you?

Nah, the value of the nitrox card is to show you've been trained on how to use nitrox safely.
What you are saying is like asserting that the value of an OW card is that it gets you on a dive boat.

LOL. Believe what you want.

ADDED:
The science was summarized most recently in Nitrox?.
I know of nothing new to add.
Conclusion: less fatigue is neither proven nor disproven.
If you feel less fatigue, go for it.
If you don't, STFU.
If you don't feel less fatigue, you have just as much right to say so as those who are wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom