Leaving Dust Cap Off When Rinsing Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33:
It takes around 20 minutes to empty a tank through the HP port on a regulator as the opening is only pinhole size. Having no high pressure hose on a first stage will not affect the intermediate pressure.Suspect it may make quite a noise though !!!
Not sure that is 100%. Just checked a Poseidon Cyklon 300 laying on my desk and the HP port is LARGE. So, checked my Cyklon 5000 and the HP port is a pinhole. Checked a couple of SPG's. They are always pinholes.
Don't know if it is age or brand.

don O

Mafiaman:
Question; How do you maintain back presure to purge the Regulaters with a high presure line open? I'm ready to learn!

The opening to the HP hose is quite small resulting in a very small flow rate to the SPG. There will be plenty of pressure left in the IP curcuit to purge the 2nd stages & the LPI hose. It won't even be that noisy.

Mafiaman:
Question; How do you maintain back presure to purge the Regulaters with a high presure line open? I'm ready to learn!

On my 1st stages the HP outlets are large bore but my SPG hoses have pinhole entries.

IMHO it would be sufficient to press the purge on the 2nd stage and then open the tank valve slowly while maintaining the purge depressed.
Any water in the 1st stage will take the route of least resistence, out through the 2nd stage. The chance of actually forcing any water through the pinhole to the SPG is minimal.
If you're that worried, afterwards just unscrew the SPG at the swivel and then blow that hose through too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom