Leaving pony rigged between dive outings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave mine coupled up for the duration of the dive trip (unless changing pony's ) remove 1st stage and regs before putting in car and cleaning at end of trip

I like to soak my regs in warm water and only do a rinse or quick dip on my other gear, so the reg is going to come off at the end of the trip. I also find the take down and reassembly gives me a chance to inspect for any issues.

Thanks all. Based on the varied advice, I think I'll leave it rigged. This means regs on, hoses tucked in bungies and always just ready to clip on. It's only pressured up and then valve off during the dive. When it sits its not pressured. In summer, I dive fresh all summer anyways. When I dive salt in winter I'll make sure everything's cleaned up. I usual dip the whole unit in a tank after the dive and give is a quick purge anyways. If I get o-ring compression and a small leak well, I'm never shor of o-rings. We all know how nice it is to save just a minute or two here and there when gearing up.

Tanks have a bad habit of rolling around in the trunk, and have enough mass that even a minor bump could damage the plastic body of a second stage. I wouldn't want my regulator getting damaged.

That's why my pony seconds are SP109/156 models. They make for great tank chocks too... :D

.... We all know how nice it is to save just a minute or two here and there when gearing up....

Just don't allow yourself to race through your setup thinking because it is set up, you can skip your normal checks.
Personally, the majority of my dive mistakes tend to happen when I rush through prep / plan. Its a recreational activity, not a race.

Just don't allow yourself to race through your setup thinking because it is set up, you can skip your normal checks.
Personally, the majority of my dive mistakes tend to happen when I rush through prep / plan. Its a recreational activity, not a race.

I don't like it when you are going through all of your checks and someone is talking to you at the same time , then I have to start all over again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom