Left shoulder hurts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am confident it was conservative. Dive 1 was about 18 min including a safety stop, reach froths of 65 feet. Dive 2 was 21 min a depth of 35 feet with safety stop. Combined both dives were 39 min.

I did lift my tank with my left shoulder when standing up.

Sent from my iPhone.

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2014 at 09:08 AM ----------

Depths not froths

Sent from my iPhone.

At what point on Monday did you notice the pain, and how many hours had elapsed since your last dive? Did the shoulder hurt right after you lifted your tank?

We began the dive around 1530 and ended at a 1630. Yesterday, it started getting little sore around noon (so around 20 hours later). At that point, it felt more like it was used after a light workout. My legs were sore then too. It stayed like that till bout 2000 where it started fading off. Then around 03/400, my shoulder started hurting

Sent from my iPhone.

Last edited:
So that there is no confusion. Did you really mean to state you did a "decompression stop"? You did two dives to 65 feet and required a "decompression stop" on both?

In fairness, the most accurate way to describe a stop prior to surfacing, to enhance offgassing and safety....is to call it a decompression stop. Calling it a "safety stop" could be described as a technique to dumb down the concerns of a poorly educated diver--over something they ought to be concerned about/should know more about than they are taught in most basic OW courses !!!

Thanks for the education. I needed it. I've contributed to the "dumbing" down of diver education and certifying "poorly educated divers".

Last edited:
An 18 minute dive to 65 feet on the PADI RDP tables makes you a group "G" diver. With no surface interval at all, your NDL at 40 feet would be 105 minutes. When you consider that your actual BOTTOM time on the first dive was less than 18 minutes (since you did a 3 minute safety stop, and ascent time is not part of your bottom time) you had even more leeway.

Your symptoms would be joint DCS, and given the very minimal nitrogen loading from your profiles, as well as the delay in onset of symptoms, I think the likelihood that this is a decompression-related injury is extremely low. However, many of us have had aches and pains in our arms, shoulders and backs when we were new to wearing and moving scuba gear.

I feel stupid but their is another possibility. My brother, dad, and I wrestled (boys shall be boys) and may have been from that

Sent from my iPhone.

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2014 at 12:08 PM ----------

An 18 minute dive to 65 feet on the PADI RDP tables makes you a group "G" diver. With no surface interval at all, your NDL at 40 feet would be 105 minutes. When you consider that your actual BOTTOM time on the first dive was less than 18 minutes (since you did a 3 minute safety stop, and ascent time is not part of your bottom time) you had even more leeway.

Your symptoms would be joint DCS, and given the very minimal nitrogen loading from your profiles, as well as the delay in onset of symptoms, I think the likelihood that this is a decompression-related injury is extremely low. However, many of us have had aches and pains in our arms, shoulders and backs when we were new to wearing and moving scuba gear.

I figured it was minimal but didn't want to be wrong. Called DAN and they had similar answer but none the less to go to an urgent care.

Sent from my iPhone.

We began the dive around 1530 and ended at a 1630. Yesterday, it started getting little sore around noon (so around 20 hours later). At that point, it felt more like it was used after a light workout. My legs were sore then too. It stayed like that till bout 2000 where it started fading off. Then around 03/400, my shoulder started hurting

Sent from my iPhone.

I feel stupid but their is another possibility. My brother, dad, and I wrestled (boys shall be boys) and may have been from that

Sent from my iPhone.

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2014 at 12:08 PM ----------

I figured it was minimal but didn't want to be wrong. Called DAN and they had similar answer but none the less to go to an urgent care.

Sent from my iPhone.

It's highly unlikely that this is decompression sickness. It sounds more musculoskeletal to me. An urgent care visit would be very reasonable.

Best regards,
DDM

Well in the end it wasn't anything major. Just an over used left muscular. But thank you everyone!

Sent from my iPhone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom