Leg conditioning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good tips from all so far...One Question Cameron, re: biking, how do you mean pedaling in circles vs. squares? I usually hit a bike in the gym one work out every week (but use ellipiticals the rest of the time) so I could probably benefit from that knowledge...thanks!

Buoyant1,

Hey, this thing about leg cramps... I had a huge problem with my legs cramping up all the time. (In other sports, just got certified last month in Scuba.) I'm a Johnny G Spin instructor http://www.spinning.com and it's stopped all of that cramping up or me. Spin (TM) class or "group cycling" is something I suggest you do, if it's available at your gym. Or even purchase a bike of your own and ride everyday around your neighborhood if at all possible. I also recommend getting a heart rate monitor. This will help you stay within your cardio zone while riding. (At the gym or on your own) (Check out the above site or PM me and I'll assist you with that.) The benefit of this will be building of your cardio (hopefully, like myself, not be so much of a gas hog.) and build strength and condition your legs. I know it's helped me alot over the last three years.

Last month when I was doing my open water check out dives, I didn't cramp up at all. Also, stay hydrated and maybe a banana or two before diving. It helps.

I'm no proffesional on this, I just know that it has worked for myself. I hope it helps you as well.

Happy diving.

Michael

I dive with someone who said she has started making sure to have a smoothie with a banana in it on dive day - has completely eliminated her cramping problems, which I think were significant.

FYI: Any Potasium rich food for those who don't like bananas.

I am a new diver, as are my sons (13 and 17) they are also competitive swimmers. I swim laps with them and started doing 10-20 lengths of a 60m pool with just fins no hands using my mask and snorkel. They recommeneded it since their coach has the kids that have cramping problems do sets with just fins to build up their endurance.

Jcsgt:
That's a great website, Cameron, I've perused it several times in the past. Good article, as well.

A bit off subject, but how many days a week would you recommend the 45 min. Total Workout for max. benefit?

Sorry, I seemed to have missed a few updates to this thread.

That workout is a bear to get through, and I wouldn't think that many would want to tackle it more than once per week. <g> However, if you have the desire and capability, you can certainly adapt to something like that doing it 3 or 4 times a week. You would need to take it easy on the other days for recovery. If this still seems easy, then you aren't likely hitting the components with enough intensity.

Cameron

Buoyant1:
Good tips from all so far...One Question Cameron, re: biking, how do you mean pedaling in circles vs. squares? I usually hit a bike in the gym one work out every week (but use ellipiticals the rest of the time) so I could probably benefit from that knowledge...thanks!

When you pedal with "regular" pedals, the kind that don't strap your feet down, you can only generate power when pushing down. You can't lift at all, and you can't generate too much power in the horizontal plane, forwards or backwards. This means that you have two distinct power strokes each rotation of the pedals, using a limited amount of your total leg strength. They call this pedaling in "squares" because it kinda looks like that when you think of the power delivery.

Pedaling in "circles" requires that your feet be connected to the pedals so that you can transfer power to the crank no matter where your feet are in the pedal cycle. Typically, gym bikes have straps that accomplish this with regular shoes. Serious cyclists, even indoor ones, invest in shoes and pedals that click together with bindings.

It is this "circle" pedaling that mimics the way our legs are used in frog kick, which is why it is especially beneficial to divers wanting to condition their legs for diving.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom