Leg Cramp Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I seem to get leg-cramps periodically while diving. About 90% of the time, it's my calves. I've been able to improve over-time, by:
  • Changing my fins. I had some heavy aqualung fins, which I replaced with scubapro-seawing.
  • Avoiding heavy-exertion, taking a slow consistent pace finning underwater.
  • Consistent mineral supplements (including magnesium & potassium).
  • Stretching ... when I remember to.
At the moment, I've gotten the cramps to manageable levels, but it's not gone, and can flare up if I have to suddenly fin-hard for some reason. My legs aren't weak, but something about SCUBA causes it to flare up. Perhaps wetsuit-squeeze? Perhaps the angle of my calves? Perhaps it's my use of flutter-kick and (current) inability to proper frog-kick?

It also seems to flare up more, after surfacing and having a long swim back to the boat, which I may be exerting myself more. For the surface-scenario, I sometimes "cheat" and have some fin-gloves in my pocket, which I use instead of kicks.

Anyway, any advice, suggestions, or experiences are appreciated.

Low sodium V8 juice has lots of potassium which helps me.

I get cramps after a long period of diving inactivity or ill fitting fins or boots. I haven't dove for several months and when I went back to diving a month ago, I got cramps when I am doing surface swims to get to the dive spot. After many dives I have gotten better and now I can swim for over 500m on surface in full scuba kit without any issues to get to the drop down point. I switch the fin kick type when I feel I am getting cramps or get cramp in my legs, feet or thighs which helps a great deal (frog to flutter to dolphin). After my legs get back in shape, like they are now, I have no more issues with cramps while diving.

Summary:

1. Exercise by swimming in pool or shallow water swimming in full, or close to, kit to get your muscles in shape.
  2. Change fin kick type as you feel the cramps are happening.
  3. Make sure that your fins and boots fit you properly.

I have a similar issue, it happens the most when I have not dived recently, and go in for a strong flutter kick. Frog kicks never seem to cause cramps for me, so you might try to work on incorporating a few into your finning rotation. The other thing that helps is just having strong calves -- maybe try some calf raises, or jump rope?

How far back do the bottoms of your foot pockets go on your fins? My Jet Fins seems to be around the middle of my foot. My Deep6 Eddys come further back to the heel. This changes the angle/torque on the foot/calf and I've found the Deep6 fins to be much more comfortable. Haven't had any cramps since I went to the Deep6's.

Frog kicking with the Jet Fins pretty much eliminated calf cramps for me with those. Anymore it's the primary kick I use. Seems to be more relaxing then constantly fining with a flutter kick. Although there's the occasional times when I have to tear off after someone and revert to flutter kicking for speed.

Try switching to a frog kick (pool sessions with a float can help to dial it in) and see if it changes things for you. Flutter is easy but it's amazing how even when a half dozen feet off the bottom it'll still stir up the sediment a number of feet behind you.

Magnesium and potassium.
I started doing this several year ago, and it eliminated random cramps while sleeping.
Summary:
  1. Exercise by swimming in pool or shallow water swimming in full, or close to, kit to get your muscles in shape.
  2. Change fin kick type as you feel the cramps are happening.
  3. Make sure that your fins and boots fit you properly.
How far back do the bottoms of your foot pockets go on your fins

Try switching to a frog kick (pool sessions with a float can help to dial it in) and see if it changes things for you. Flutter is easy but it's amazing how even when a half dozen feet off the bottom it'll still stir up the sediment a number of feet behind you.

1. This gives me an idea. I could find a swimmable-body-of-water nearby, bring just my fins and DSMB (floatation/emergencies) and exercise that way. Swimming with fins, but no scuba-gear is fun, and I get absurd speed.
  2. Frog-kick might be the key. I probably need to keep trying and re-learning frog-kick until I get it. Based on Thunder's comment, it sounds like it should be practicable on the surface.
  3. My fins fit pretty well. Toe is snug, without being squashed, and heel is snug in the back.

I have a similar issue, it happens the most when I have not dived recently, and go in for a strong flutter kick. Frog kicks never seem to cause cramps for me, so you might try to work on incorporating a few into your finning rotation. The other thing that helps is just having strong calves -- maybe try some calf raises, or jump rope?
I'll add calf-raises to my routine; easy to do anywhere, at about any time. Especially because I use a standing desk, whenever I'm at my computer.

I had the same problem. Switched to Force Fins and I have never had a cramp since then. No electrolytes, potassium or magic potions. Either buy a new pair or look on Flea Bay. Ask @Bob Evans to explain why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom