Leg Cramp Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And when all of the above don't work for you, switch to high quality split fins such as Apollo Bios or Atomic Smoke on the Water or Atomic Splits. You will be done with cramping, and you are not going to die! Well, you are going to die at some point, but not from the fins.
Heresy! Split fins are the marked with the sigil of Baphomet, and will surely cast a hex upon thee! Burn the witch!

I seem to get leg-cramps periodically while diving. About 90% of the time, it's my calves. I've been able to improve over-time, by:
  • Changing my fins. I had some heavy aqualung fins, which I replaced with scubapro-seawing.
  • Avoiding heavy-exertion, taking a slow consistent pace finning underwater.
  • Consistent mineral supplements (including magnesium & potassium).
  • Stretching ... when I remember to.
At the moment, I've gotten the cramps to manageable levels, but it's not gone, and can flare up if I have to suddenly fin-hard for some reason. My legs aren't weak, but something about SCUBA causes it to flare up. Perhaps wetsuit-squeeze? Perhaps the angle of my calves? Perhaps it's my use of flutter-kick and (current) inability to proper frog-kick?

It also seems to flare up more, after surfacing and having a long swim back to the boat, which I may be exerting myself more. For the surface-scenario, I sometimes "cheat" and have some fin-gloves in my pocket, which I use instead of kicks.

Anyway, any advice, suggestions, or experiences are appreciated.
Hydration level?
Are you drinking a gallon of water a day? Minerals without water don't do much. Also avoid caffeine before diving as it will make you lose water as well.

Also, what's your Age and fitness level? Cramps can be a result of poor circulation, IF you hydrate properly and take all those electrolytes, fin carefully and still have issues, check with a Cardiologist or Vascular doctor. Nothing to panic about, just a routine check.

Silly question: do you use Creatine? When training, often people take it as a supplement and it also generates cramps if not hydrated enough.

And when all of the above don't work for you, switch to high quality split fins such as Apollo Bios or Atomic Smoke on the Water or Atomic Splits. You will be done with cramping, and you are not going to die! Well, you are going to die at some point, but not from the fins.
Of course, your chances of ever mastering a back kick or other precise positioning will drop to near zero.

Of course, your chances of ever mastering a back kick or other precise positioning will drop to near zero.
Frankly, like the vast majority of rec divers, I don't care if I never master a back kick or other super precise positioning kicks. I do not need or use them for the frequency and type rec diving I do, and prefer to concentrate on good buoyancy control, not touching or damaging coral, not making life more difficult for fellow divers, being a good dive buddy, having fun dives, and being comfortable.

Frankly, like the vast majority of rec divers, I don't care if I never master a back kick or other super precise positioning kicks. I do not need or use them for the frequency and type rec diving I do, and prefer to concentrate on good buoyancy control, not touching or damaging coral, not making life more difficult for fellow divers, being a good dive buddy, having fun dives, and being comfortable.

Do you at least frog kick? I’m only asking because a lot of the recreational only divers I know look at me like I’ve got two heads when I mention frog kick. “Why would I want to do that?” is their response.

Do you at least frog kick? I’m only asking because a lot of the recreational only divers I know look at me like I’ve got two heads when I mention frog kick. “Why would I want to do that?” is their response.
Although I think frog kicks would certainly be a benefit for my rec profiles, and have dived with top notch divers that flawlessly frog kick with split fins. Unfortunately, my two knee and one hip replacements don't like the frog kick with any fin type. At my age, I have learned to listen to my body: If it hurts, I stop doing it.

look at me like I’ve got two heads when I mention frog kick

Not because of something else??????

(I know that I am going to get my ass kicked now)

I took a potassium pill for years until one Dr. said that may not be a good idea. Basically had no cramps during that time, but quite often when diving before taking the pills. Now I'm 68 and don't do dives that require a lot of heavy finning so cramping is very rare. Check with your Dr. about Potassium. It is my belief that though all the advice about eating well, exercising, hydrating may be very good, cramping IMO may mostly be a result of heredity. My mom was very athletic and in shape and was always plagued with cramps, whereas not so for my dad.

I have some Scubapro Sea Wing Nova's. They have great propulsion, and less cramping than my previous old-school-Scubapro-Rocket-Fins that were heavy as bricks. They may not be great for reverse-kick or frog-kick, although hard to tell since I'm bad at Reverse&Frog kick. (Obviously I know how to search, but if anyone has solid "how to frog kick" videos, feel free to share)

I also have Mares Plana Avanti Quatros. A little less propulsion than the Novas, but I like them too, and intend to wear those for frog/reverse kick practice. I actually posted a thread on the subject (frog-kick & fins) last year, and then managed to never get around to mastering frog-kick or reverse-kick. Sidemount Fin Recommendation? (Frog & Reverse Kick)

I took a potassium pill for years until one Dr. said that may not be a good idea. Basically had no cramps during that time, but quite often when diving before taking the pills. Now I'm 68 and don't do dives that require a lot of heavy finning so cramping is very rare. Check with your Dr. about Potassium. It is my belief that though all the advice about eating well, exercising, hydrating may be very good, cramping IMO may mostly be a result of heredity. My mom was very athletic and in shape and was always plagued with cramps, whereas not so for my dad.
What I do is create a mixture of dry/powdered vitamins, including zinc, magnesium, potassium, calcium, vitamin D, and various others. I take about 1-teaspoon, mixed with water, 1-2 times per day. (not recommended for anyone bad at math, measurements, etc). The mix I have mostly tastes like chalk (I don't mind), and is easier than pills. Potassium in particular can be very hard on the stomach, so you have to be careful with that. Magnesium can cause your #2 to be .... liquid if you have too much at once, and I've been able to increase my tolerance.

I also do Keto, which tends to deplete minerals at a faster rate, so I definitely want to supplement even if I have a fairly decent diet overall.

Back
Top Bottom