Leg cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775:
Contrary to popular thinking, stretching before or after exercise does not prevent muscle soreness or muscle injury,
But isn’t cramping different from soreness and injury? A cramp is a spasm. I’m not sure the article pescador cites is addressing cramps.

Another citation, this from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons at:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=270&topcategory=General Information says:
“Although the exact cause of muscle cramps is unknown (idiopathic), some researchers believe inadequate stretching and muscle fatigue leads to abnormalities in mechanisms that control muscle contraction. Other factors may also be involved, including exercising or working in intense heat, dehydration and depletion of salt and minerals (electrolytes).”

But ZzzKing asked about fins, so now the non-science: I occasionally cramp with paddle fins, but I’ve never cramped while wearing Force Fins. They have no toe, so they put a different kind of stress on your foot. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom