Leg weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hiked cliffs for shore diving with cordura nylon/velcro ankle weights for over 20 years. I never forgot them because I thought they were great to get some weight off my belt. I never lost them either from miles of hiking and swimming. I use them as weight in my back-up weight belt now.

mine cant... gotta love velcro!

next time youre diving with us Sas remind me to staple your weights to your feet for just in case :D

I have velcro ones too and whilst they haven't fallen off but they have loosened up :p So yea, bring your stapler next time I visit :D

Ankle weights are an extra bit of gear that you have to remember. They can fall off. They can get caught in things. If I could avoid wearing ankle weights I would just for those reasons.

All of the above is true - about my compass, knife and SMB but I still carry them.:wink:

Losing an ankle weight is hardly a life or even a dive threating issue.
I do understand a tech, cave or wreck diver not wanting any extra snag points but for recreational diving it is not much of an issue, except here of course.

All of the above is true - about my compass, knife and SMB but I still carry them.:wink:

Losing an ankle weight is hardly a life or even a dive threating issue.
I do understand a tech, cave or wreck diver not wanting any extra snag points but for recreational diving it is not much of an issue, except here of course.

Yes sure I agree. Ideally I loved to dive with no compass, knife and SMB too, but I do need them (as I need ankle weights on many dives) :)

Are your booties full of air? This can contribute to floating feet too! Make sure they flood in the beginning of the dive to help them sink better.

I use ankle weights when I am doing some photography. When photographing macro subjects I may be lying prone for up to half an hour or more. My feet tend to float up when I am doing this. Ankle weights help keep me laying still allowing me to patiently wait for the right shot.

Ankle weights are always an intersting thing in my mind and it really upsets me when divers who need them are called or thought of as poor divers or lacking in technique. It's simple and really a personal thing.

Some people need them, some don't.

Some start off needing them and end up dumping them later because whatever the "issue" was is gone.

My dive instructor was like that. He says he had to use them until about dive 40 or so. His wife on the other hand who is a divemaster still has to use them. As do I...and all of us have Scubapro Twin Jets so it's not really an issue of the fins. I don't think you can blame it on build either as she is a tiny little thing and he and I are built pretty "average". As far as it being a female thing I don't know...since his wife and I are obviously both female.

I'd be interested to know the percentage of female vs. male divers who use ankle weights beyond their first 40 dives.

Maybe I'll set up a little poll out of curiosity. It won't be very scientific but may give a good idea towards an answer...or at least an answer of male vs. female ankle weight users.:popcorn:

Last edited:
I use 1lb ankle weights. I find I can dive without them but have better fin control with them on. In my case I attribute their need to having neoprene socks on my D/S plus using neoprene booties (but boy my feet are warm). When my booties wear out I'll probably buy proper rock boots and if I find some cheap turtles I'll try those too. Currently I use Jets.

Ankle weights are always an intersting thing in my mind and it really upsets me when divers who need them are called or thought of as poor divers or lacking in technique. It's simple and really a personal thing.

Some people need them, some don't.

Some start off needing them and end up dumping them later because whatever the "issue" was is gone.

My dive instructor was like that. He says he had to use them until about dive 40 or so. His wife on the other hand who is a divemaster still has to use them. As do I...and all of us have Scubapro Twin Jets so it's not really an issue of the fins. I don't think you can blame it on build either as she is a tiny little thing and he and I are built pretty "average". As far as it being a female thing I don't know...since his wife and I are obviously both female.

I'd be interested to know the percentage of female vs. male divers who use ankle weights beyond their first 40 dives.

Maybe I'll set up a little poll out of curiosity. It won't be very scientific but may give a good idea towards an answer...or at least an answer of male vs. female ankel weight users.:popcorn:

I'd be interested in seeing a poll. Include wetsuit v. drysuit too as in my post I made the assumption OP was diving wet and not dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom