Leg weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be interested in seeing a poll. Include wetsuit v. drysuit too as in my post I made the assumption OP was diving wet and not dry.

I'm working on it right now!:D

i love blanket comments..... ive been waiting all day for Jeff to post that ankle weights are a quick fix for a equipment or skill problem
They are a quick fix for lazy people that do not want to learn how to dive.

Hows that?

They are a quick fix for lazy people that do not want to learn how to dive.

Hows that?

heheheheheh - i expect nothing more from you and your angry little kitty :kiss2:

Quick fixes sound better than long drawnout fixes though...

:eyebrow:

This advice is not limited to steel tanks only - will help even if diving AL tanks, as the net result is moving some of your weight closer to your midpoint.

I'm wondering if moving some AL tanks lower in the BC might exacerbate the problem towards the end of the dive when many AL tanks (compared to steel tanks, most of which seem to remain negatively buoyant when low on air or empty) are positively buoyant.

I would try heavier fins (Jets, Slipstreams, etc) before I added weights.

I have the SP Jets and the OMS Slipstreams...the Slipstreams are made of a different material and are lighter and a closer to a more neutral buoyancy.

For my own understanding and education........

What is the difference between using ankle weights or going to a heavier negatively buoyant fin? And why is the fin approach preferred?

Other than "extra gear" the ankle weights, you are still putting more mass at the end of your legs so from an effort perspective is it not the same?

Thanks.........M

I use BIO fins, which I consider heavy. So did the airline when I went on a diving trip. One of the reasons I went to the BIO (other than the easier kick) was the weight.

I use ankle weights when I am doing some photography. When photographing macro subjects I may be lying prone for up to half an hour or more. My feet tend to float up when I am doing this. Ankle weights help keep me laying still allowing me to patiently wait for the right shot.

Yes, I do take pictures. And waiting for the marine life to get used to me - well, my feet float. Even with my weight adjusted, booties, flooded, etc. Thanks for the reassurance -

Thanks for all the comments. And while I've only been diving in Florida, the Caribbean, and Hawaii for 8 years, the comment from JeffG was definitely on the negative side and seemed to be more about ego than info. Sorry -

I DID find out (latest boat dive) that more female divers use them than I thought in my area. These are experienced female divers that have the same floaty feet issue. One of them is a dive master.

FYI-80% of my weight is located in the trim pockets next to my tank, my AL tanks sit low on my BC (I'm only 5'2" so they can't go too low), I'm cold natured (I always wear a wetsuit of some kind), and my Zena is a zip-up which means my BC doesn't ride up on my shoulders. I also use Bios which are heavy fins. I'm going out today, so I'll try and report back on the ankle weight success. Thanks for all the input -

Back
Top Bottom