Legal advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well Rick, I'm not trying to appear trustworthy, smart, or cute... I was simply posting whether or not to disclose it or not, and the members here really helped me, I really needed to hear their opinions and views on this matter,

I'm sorry if you feel your time was wasted here, but I never pulled your arm behind your back to make you post here either, you simply didn't have to post if you felt it wasn't worth your time... So I'm sorry you feel that way...seriously...

but to the rest, thanks very much and I'm very appreciative to yalls constructive criticism, views, and opinions...

JackSpearo:
well Rick, I'm not trying to appear trustworthy, smart, or cute... I was simply posting whether or not to disclose it or not, and the members here really helped me, I really needed to hear their opinions and views on this matter,

I'm sorry if you feel your time was wasted here, but I never pulled your arm behind your back to make you post here either, you simply didn't have to post if you felt it wasn't worth your time... So I'm sorry you feel that way...seriously...

but to the rest, thanks very much and I'm very appreciative to yalls constructive criticism, views, and opinions...
Listen, I've learned this the hard way. You're young and you will learn too. Opinions are like rearend holes. Everybody has one. Take what you want and leave the rest.

fairybasslet:
Opinions are like butt (round things in the ground that you dig).

i dont' think i have a round thing in the ground that i dug ...

could it have been dug by someone else?

yea i know everyone has their opinions, it just seems like Rick is out to get me or something? and I never imagined making enemies by posting this question...

I hope this still means we are friends rick, I don't think I could bare not being your friend...

Jack...

H2Andy:
i dont' think i have a round thing in the ground that i dug ...

could it have been dug by someone else?
Hmm. trying to get around the censors isn't easy but I tried. The word is "hole". I know you have one of those.:rofl3:

Here is some advice from a non-lawyer, but someone who used to evaluate admissions applications. Most people are responding from the viewpoint of whether answering "no" is legally correct. In my opinion this is not the point.

The application is the test. Being complete and accurate plays in your favor. Incomplete and inaccurate (or even questionable) play against you. There is a good chance they wouldn't find out about the egg incident if you don't disclaim it, but they might and then you look bad. I, for one, would immediately downgrade you if I found out the story and you answered "no" to the Michigan school's question as you posted it.

The incident you are talking about (assuming what you have said here is the whole story) will not keep you out of law school provided your other credentials are competitive enough to get you in.

In short, there are no advantages to leaving it out and a possible negative if you do. I would put it in.

fairybasslet:
I know you have one of those.:rofl3:

i think everyone has _at least_ one, right??

:14:

Rick Murchison:
What you are doing is called "sea lawyering.".

"Jail House Lawyering" is probably a better word, and a lot of it occurs on this board.

It is not impressive, nor does it make you appear trustworthy, or smart, or cute, and it is especially void of wisdom. . . . I am just the kind of guy who sits on admission boards; I am not impressed with what you're doing here.

That's an understatement. When I was young and foolish, I endured the ordeal of admission to practice law in five states. These things were and are taken seriously. Answering uncomfortable questions may lead to other questions but petty mischief will not be likely disqualify the bar applicant if (i) the crime does not suggest a pattern of current or continuing conduct, and (ii) does not suggest moral turpitude.

BUT if a question calls for disclosure, failure to provide a full and honest answer will almost certainly disqualify you from the practice of law (see "moral turpitude" above). This is why, for example, Maryland famously admitted a car thief in the 1980s (poor kid, reformed) while rejecting applicants with a continuing history of unpaid parking tickets (evidencing continuing and habitual disregard for laws).

And, many -- if not all -- states now do full criminal and civil background checks.

The application to law school is an extension of this. Full disclosure doesn't provide for rationalization or omission. If you have to, provide a narrative expressing contrition and how you know you would never do anything of the sort again.

PS. By the way, everything we post on the internet is in the public domain. U. of Mich. may well have faculty or students who read Scubaboard and someone may "connect the dots" to your application or forward it to someone who will.

DivePartner1:
PS. By the way, everything we post on the internet is in the public domain. U. of Mich. may well have faculty or students who read Scubaboard and someone may "connect the dots" to your application or forward it to someone who will.
I told you he was young.:rofl3:

ahhh guys...I told yall I hope someone would see it because they would see how stressed and confused I was!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom