Leisurepro.com + suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...
What questionable business practice, specifically, are you alleging that LP is engaged in?

I've seen no evidence of ANY so-called questionable practice.

What I HAVE seen is a company taking care of its customers. A company that happens to BE AN LDS; if you live in NYC you can walk right into their store just like any other LDS.

So precisely what, may I ask, are you complaining about?

I am not complaining about anything, I asked a simple question about the ethics in buying from the gray market. Now if you are saying LP is not gray market, then there is no ethical dilemma. If everything they are doing is on the up-and-up, legal, all squared-away, no problema.

This is not an online.vs LDS issue, I wouldn't buy gray market from an LDS either.

I wouldn't buy from an business that didn't know the product it was selling, whether it was an LDS or Online.

So that I may fullfill my desire of owning a Vytec at a reasonable price, perhaps you can explain in sufficient detail how an unauthorized dealer sources merchandise in sufficient quantities and prices to offer "very competitive pricing" without any party in the supply chain violating a contract.

Otter

Does anyone know what year air compressors where invented by a dive retailer? That seems to be a common threat from the LDS's in my area- Where are you going to get air if the internet puts us out of business? I'll tell you where- the same place divers got it before you were here and the same place we will get it after you are gone. Big difference is that we won't be paying you to shine a light in our tanks every year. LDS employees need to reconsile themselves with the fact that internet sales aren't going away. Ask anyone in the auto industry what good reactionist fears and threats will do once consumers believe that the competition provides more value. Instead of trying to scare customers (and only alienating them) by predicting their death while diving unauthorized life support equiptment why don't you learn to compete with the Leisure Pro's of the world?

Yet another online vs lds war?

Who cares...
Buy where you're comfortable buying...

If air starts costing more because that's the only way the lds can stay in business then at least all the people saving money buying online will be able to afford it. And with any luck, the shop will have some respect for their regulars and give them a break for being loyal over the years.

I am not complaining about anything, I asked a simple question about the ethics in buying from the gray market.

What ethics problem?

The problem is caused by manufacturer policies that are intended to skirt (successfully, at least to the point at hand, otherwise they would have stopped) laws intended to protect consumers from price-fixing and other forms of gouging.

A gray market vendor is responding to the original ethics problem that the manufacturer/distributor committed.

I pray at the altar of free markets. A willing buyer and willing seller are the hallmarks of that market. Artificial restraints to "protect" retailers from each other's attempts to compete with one another are not part of such a free market.

As such I see no ethics problem to "get around".

Otter once bubbled...

I am not complaining about anything, I asked a simple question about the ethics in buying from the gray market. Now if you are saying LP is not gray market, then there is no ethical dilemma. If everything they are doing is on the up-and-up, legal, all squared-away, no problema.
This is not an online.vs LDS issue, I wouldn't buy gray market from an LDS either.
I wouldn't buy from an business that didn't know the product it was selling, whether it was an LDS or Online.
So that I may fullfill my desire of owning a Vytec at a reasonable price, perhaps you can explain in sufficient detail how an unauthorized dealer sources merchandise in sufficient quantities and prices to offer "very competitive pricing" without any party in the supply chain violating a contract.
Otter

Otter

What do you define as "Gray Market"?
What ethical dilemma?
Can't really tell exactly what your point is without defining your terms. If by "Gray Market" you mean european products or Pacific rim products then what's the deal.
So what if they were slated for the retail market so why does it matter what market they were intened?
They were still intended for the retail market so what gives?

LP may acquire many products from DS around the world who have or are going out of business.
Would that be a "Gray Market" item?
Why would it matter?

I just don't understand the term Gray Market when used associated with something like a dive computer. Now if you define gray market as illegally acquired then you have a point but I don't think you are defining gray market in that manner. If so, LP would not be in business.

Why are you using the term "Gray Market" anyway?
How do you think LP acquires there goods?

Just interested in getting to the heart of your thought process that's all Otter.

Frankly I agree with MNScuba

Here's a reply that SeaJay sent to me concerning an earlier discussion regarding Atlantic (online dealer) and suunto computers. Thanks again SeaJay.

Re: Suunto link
Yes, that's the right link.

Perhaps I should explain it further on the thread.

There was a select group of Suunto dealers here in the US who raised a stink about Atlantic's prices (which were terrific mostly because of the money exchange rate) that Suunto was asked to take their Suunto advertising off of their website.

To get a price quote, a person must email Eric. Believe me, it's worth it... I think I paid something like $65 LESS THAN LEISUREPRO for my Vyper... And got the best customer service I've ever seen.

Hey, ya wanna mention that on that thread?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

divemed06 wrote on 09-16-2003 08:37 AM:
Hey SeaJay,

Just wondering about the link you sent for the Suunto online dealer. http://www.ass.com.sg/. Theu don't seem to have a section for computers or price lists. Can you double check the link. Thanks,

divemed06

History is litered with examples of the masses rebelling against an evil central figure. Actions are justified because the evil figure performed some wrong and therefore the only course of action for the masses is to rise up and revolt.

I guess I too quickly dismissed the connotation of "Divers Union" and didn't realize the seriousness of this issue. I was blinded to the import implied by hundreds of posts on this issue. Serious problems require serioius actions -- ethical/legal/moral or otherwise.

No ethicial dilemma. Got it.

Back
Top Bottom