Lembeh Resort or Kungkungan Bay Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DontLieToMe

Contributor
Reaction score
I have stayed at Kungkungan Bay Resort (KBR) several times but am thinking about trying out Lembeh Resort. Does anyone have a feedback on Lembeh Resort and how it differs in its diving operation/facilities from KBR?

Also, KBR is now charging every diver a $2 fuel surcharge per dive. While fuel prices have gone up their charge seems very excessive.

Sorry, I can't respond to your main question (though I'm interested in the answers myself)...

Re the fuel surcharge, I noticed a few dive ops/resorts in Nth Sulawesi are doing this now...Apparently the Indonesian gov't has reduced the fuel subsidy and the world market is up, so prices for fuel are up in Sulawesi by x2...Not great news for those of us hoping to visit soon, but @ $2/dive, still only +$50 for a week of diving in a great spot.

Worth searching this site for Lembeh Resort. Haven't been there myself but am sure I recall positives on it. Also spoke to someone who dived there this summer and they were very happy with the service and the place. I think KBR may be slightly more luxurious.

You could also give our place a thought. We do not have a swimming pool or airco's. But the bungalows are very comfortable, spacious and beautiful situated in between 25hectares of protected nature. We are proud to offer the best service around for the diving. Never more than two guests with one guide, and on request your own boat. Nitrox available. http://www.diving-on-sulawesi.com (Divers Lodge Lembeh)
Rob.
P.S. Okay, next time I will try to be more neutral again in my replies.

I found Lembeh Resort to be very luxurious. Everything is newer and well maintained.

The dive team run by Bruce (murex) is very well trained in dive crowd management and criter hunting. I have not dived with the other murex team so cannot comment on the Manado Murex.

I stayed in both Murex and Lembeh Resort last year, the latter had big luxurious rooms (the only blemish being a smelly dead rat in the wall cavity behind my bed). The food was good, an a-la-carte menu, and a nice swimming pool. There's a good sized room for camera equipment.
Although I never dived it, I believe their house reef was good for the mandarins. The rest of the dive sites they visited are typical muck stuff I need not tell you about.

Hi Indah,

Is this same place as Pulisan? I stayed at LR and it was nice but being on Lembeh island alone wasn;t that much fun as evening activity is nil. I was thinking of trying KBR next year but where are you located exactly?

Deano2

Deano2,

Since you stayed at LR. Were there time limits on the dives? What did you think of the food? How were the rooms - did the A/C work? Satellite television? They say they have Internet but I have not been able to get any specifics.

DNL2Me

Earlier this year, KBR wouldn't let you check in early, why not try LBR. Nice rooms except for open air baths (way too many bugs), A/C works good, didn't notice satellite TV, house reef is not as nice as KBR's but is alive with mandarin fish. Dive time limits weren't any problems within reason but we know you like to stretch out your dives.

DontLieToMe:
Deano2,

Since you stayed at LR. Were there time limits on the dives? What did you think of the food? How were the rooms - did the A/C work? Satellite television? They say they have Internet but I have not been able to get any specifics.

DNL2Me

Hi Don'tLie,

I won't lie to you....I stayed there in 2004 and revisited Lembeh in 2005 but the second time I stayed in Thalassa and did a couple day trips. When I stayed at Lembeh resort there were this large group of photographers from France and they were really unfriendly..I mean really unfriendly. The staff was ok but the guides were totally stressed out by them. Not so good for my dive experience.

The food was ok, not bad but not great and not much of a choice but they are catering to around 15 guests so thats a tough one. You can't go to town at night if you stay at LR but you could if you were at KBR (I think). Not that Bitung is anyplace to spend alot of time but at least it is out. In LR the bedroom has a/c but the living room not. I suppose this is good for photographers but not for non-divers or people wanting to relax. There was no TV in the room but i remember them mentioning a TV room. I don't recall internet either. It is on island so chances are it might not be working. I guess the idea of KBR and being able to go to town for eats or internet is the kicker for me. I would and will try KBR this next year. Lots people say they have had good experience at LR so I don't see why you wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom