lens and strobe questions for A520 with DC60?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW - many users will add a focusing light to the rig...my Inon doesn't have one but the 220F does. In my waters it's rare that I need one, though I do carry one.

The Ike 125 can also double as a light for night dives, so this might be a bonus for you if night diving is your thing....

On INON's website it looks like the basic 220 might be discontinued! All I'm finding is the 2000 and the z22 which is big bucks. Why would you think the 2000 is underpowered?

Yup, the 220 series is being replaced.

It doesn't have the power I want...many are using it and really like it. I haven't used it myself. Have dived with several divers who have it and they are happy. Most of my thoughts are from reviews and comments made by people I know who have used it and other strobes I was interested in...unfortunately, it's a matter of digging around for info!

nvert:
.........Why would you think the 2000 is underpowered?

imho, the underwater photographer who seeks a more powerful strobe than a D2000 may own (or someday wish to own) a dSLR camera that has the capability of choosing a much smaller aperture than commonly found on a typical point and shoot camera (f/8).

Photographers may find the need for their strobes to offer greater illuminating power when the primary goal is to maximize depth of field, which is accomplished by choosing very small aperture settings. Keep in mind that dSLR's are capable of aperture settings much smaller than f/11.

The only situation I can think of where a more powerful strobe than a D 2000 may be desirable for a point and shoot camera system may exist is if your goal was to balance foreground lighting with very bright ambient background lighting. Such would be the case if you were shooting close focus, wide angle into a sun ball.

Another consideration for analyzing power capability would be beam angle, that is, how much area will that light emanating from the strobe cover. D2000 and Z220 offer similar angles of coverage.

Why is this so complicated!! UGH!!

So...I'm back to looking for a strobe that will either grow with my camera and thus cause huge lighting problems or a strobe for my camera that will need to be replaced down the road.

I like the modeling light of the 125 (but potential night dives are probably 1 out of 30) and I think I'd like the Inon with the focusing light. Will these truly be overkill for my camera? Do divers attach small dive lights to their trays or handles when diving at night to help with night photography?

Thanks for ALL your advice.

Nope, I don't see any of those strobes as overkill -my theory is always buy something that can grow. not only is it better for you IF you decide to change, but my thinking is that it will also appeal to more buyers if you ever do decide to sell it.

I don't see that any of these strobes will cause a lighting problem with your current set-up...all have controls so you can decide on the amount of light in addition to being able to be moved around!

Some divers do attach lights to strobe heads, arms, trays or whatever...each diver has a preference and it's a matter of experimenting to find what works for you.

bob is the strobe guru and his advice is always clear and helpful!

nvert:
.........Why would you think the 2000 is underpowered?

Sorry if my previous post was confusing. I was attempting to say that if you did choose a D2000, that imho, it would not be underpowered for your point and shoot needs. A D2000 would be one of many good choices for you.

nvert:
........So...I'm back to looking for a strobe that will either grow with my camera and thus cause huge lighting problems...........

A strobe "more powerful" than you need, as long as it comes with power control options such as manual, auto, or ttl strobe control, will not cause "huge" lighting problems. All you would have to do is set the strobe to produce less lighting than it is fully capable of (this is so common I'd wager to say that the vast majority of underwater images you see are captured with less than a full dump of strobe light, iow, strobes that were "more powerful" than otherwise needed). For instance, I have a pair of DS 125 strobes to go along with an ancient point and shoot Oly c4040. Why I feel the need for two strobes could be the topic for another thread.........

I like the modeling light of the 125 (but potential night dives are probably 1 out of 30) and I think I'd like the Inon with the focusing light

Modeling light, focus light, they both do relatively the same function (illuminate the target to aid in focus capture) except that as you suggest, the DS 125 modeling light is bright enough that it is also capable of illuminating the way to navigate a night dive.

Do divers attach small dive lights to their trays or handles when diving at night to help with night photography?

Some attach lights to their trays, some attach them to their handles. I attach a mini Q 40 light to a velcro wrist strap of a glove when diving. The velcro strap situated at my wrist allows me freedom of movement and use of my hand to hold the camera tray's handle while simultaneously having the ability to aim the flashlight at a target when bending my wrist.

When I owned a DS 50, I used the #4073 attachment that went on the end of my strobe arm to receive an Ikelite Mini C light.

alcina:
Nope, I don't see any of those strobes as overkill

Agree! And they're manufactured by two reputable companies with a track record for customer support after the sale. The purchase of any Ikelite or Inon product is a wise choice. Their strobes will last and have resale value. A great combination.

nvert:
Why is this so complicated!! UGH!!

BTW, you don't have to make the decision yourself. Choose a reputable online reseller of strobes that can help you make the best choice for your needs. I've used Ryan Canon's Reef Photo in the past. Ryan carries both Ikelite and Inon products and Ryan's prices are as competitive as sellers that do not offer the same full service (knowledge!!!). If you live in North America, I'd suggest giving him a call. I have no connection to Reef Photo other than for receiving great service from purchases in the past. Testaments to Ryans service has been echoed countless times by others. So I'm confident that my experience is consistent with others and Ryan treats his customers equally...........

alcina, thank you for the kind words........

regards,
b
--

Thank you both! This probably has been the most productive thread I've participated in any forum. I'll let you know what happens next!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom