Lessons for solo diving novice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I solo dive a lot. I actually took a class. The minimum requirements to even take the class was 100 dives. Even at 100 dive many people are not ready to take on that responsibility. The four things that immediately come to mind about solo diving is a redundant air supply such as a pony (lets not debate the spare air vs. pony), a redundant flotation system such as a dry suit, and multiple cutting instruments especially in areas with fishing line dangers ( I dive leg, waist and shoulder) , and surfacing with 1000 pounds vice 500. I have been tangled in fishing line on a solo dive. I have also had to partially remove my BC underwater on a solo dive. So unless you are ready to assume all the risks I would not do it and even if you are ready to assume the risks, I think you should think twice about it, and have a whole lot of dives under your belt.

Right on...

I often see posts about needing doubles and redundancy for recreational diving. The amount of risk being undertaken on depends on the diver's experience and abilities. For some, it may be dangerous to do a solo dive on a single tank, while for others it may just be walk in the park. It depends on the diver.

As a PADI DM, the company response is that solo diving isn't safe and no one is ever ready to solo dive. If that's the kind of life you want to live, go for it. However, life never fits neatly in a box. I started out doing light commercial dive work after taking only a short NAUI recreational class. Within 10 dives of certification, I was diving solo to 130 with minimal equipment, and then began doing deco with no training at all. I was told how much deco to do by topside support and I followed instructions.

There's a saying in commercial diving: Anyone can dive, the difficulty is finding someone that can work once they get in the water. The thinking is that it's better to take someone with skills and teach them to dive than it is to take a diver and teach them skills. The message is that anyone is capable of diving, but most are useless once in the water.

It's an individual thing. One diver may be ready after a few dives while another may not be ready after hundreds. The sum of an individual cannot be defined in PADI terms: OW, AOW, Rescue, etc.

If you don't push your limits, you will never know what your limits are. If you never challenge yourself, you won't be able to rise to the challenge when necessary.
I'd be careful about comparing commercial diving to recreational situations. The situations are completely different, and the motivation for the dive is not comparable in any way. Commercial divers not only have constant topside support ... they have ready access to a chamber ... often on the tender they're working from.

There's a reason for that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was with you up to the last comment....he has 17 dives and was looking for advice, not abuse. If I were a new diver looking for advice I would be terrified to post questions on this board because of insulting comebacks like this.

Disappointed

In which case some people need to stop being over-sensitive and join the real world.
Nothing more irritating that pointless cosy stuff without any real content. If someone gets offended by the above they'd better try to never go out in the real world as someone may make them cry even by accident in minutes.

What if a LP hose gets snagged or torn? You can't isolate that with a single outlet valve.

In an open water environment that's incredibly hard to do. You shouldnt be needing to squeeze through small spaces and buoyancy should be good enough NOT to keep smacking into things.

I'm with TwobitTexan on this one...
There are a lot of ways to find dive opportunities, and one of them is right here on SB. Since you're from Ft. Worth, go to the "Texas Swamp Divers" forum here on the board. We're always planning dives, and you are more than welcome. It's a great way to improve the chances of finding a willing buddy, and many of the TSD's are extremely knowlegable, friendly, and extremely willing to lend their expertise to a new diver. It'll be a great way to build an experience base so that, at some time in the future, you will be better able to decide when you are truly ready to solo. But the biggest plus for diving with the Swampers is that you'll meet a lot of great folks who love diving as much as you do and have a lot of fun.
And, by the way, another group that plans dives on a regular basis is the Christian Divers of Texas. If you have interest, drop me a line and I'll keep you posted about upcoming dives/events.
Hope to see you in the water soon. Don't hesitate to inquire about buddies--we're here!

The four things that immediately come to mind about solo diving is a redundant air supply such as a pony, a redundant flotation system such as a dry suit, and multiple cutting instruments especially in areas with fishing line dangers, and surfacing with 1000 pounds vice 500. I have been tangled in fishing line on a solo dive. I have also had to partially remove my BC underwater on a solo dive. So unless you are ready to assume all the risks I would not do it and even if you are ready to assume the risks, I think you should think twice about it, and have a whole lot of dives under your belt.

Do you really believe a slim majority of solo dives has even one of your 4 things going for them? How many solo divers die solo diving each year?

Being prepared for the risk of single tank or BC failure is different for different divers in different regions. I am comfortable with 60' cesa and I am positively buoyant without belt and no air in BC. If I am close to shore, or my boat, I am not afraid to use All my air and one knife is fine where I dive.

Everywhere and everyone is different. I don't care how you solo dive but to tell people your way is the only way is a good way to get people to tune you out!

I solo dive about 1 of 10 dives. Mostly checking out my gears, and sometime just to get wet. I started doing it once I realized that I have been solo diving most of the time, with not very good buddies. In effect, I was my buddy's pony with a fin; but not the other way around. I feel much less anxiety diving with a pony bottle, an EMT shear, a knife, and a line cutter. Most of my solo dives are to only 25 or 30 ft. I can respect experienced divers like Halemano who dives in warm water with little clutter - and is comfortable with very little redundancy.

But I would still rather dive with 2 or 3 cutting tools rather than one. There is something peaceful about minding your own business, not having to watch over someone, and just enjoying the dive at your own pace.

I solo dive about 1 of 10 dives. Mostly checking out my gears, and sometime just to get wet. I started doing it once I realized that I have been solo diving most of the time, with not very good buddies. In effect, I was my buddy's pony with a fin; but not the other way around. I feel much less anxiety diving with a pony bottle, an EMT shear, a knife, and a line cutter. Most of my solo dives are to only 25 or 30 ft. I can respect experienced divers like Halemano who dives in warm water with little clutter - and is comfortable with very little redundancy.

But I would still rather dive with 2 or 3 cutting tools rather than one. There is something peaceful about minding your own business, not having to watch over someone, and just enjoying the dive at your own pace.

hear hear
Because of my nature I would spend the dive watching my buddy's back and never find out who I am underwater.

I was with you up to the last comment....he has 17 dives and was looking for advice, not abuse. If I were a new diver looking for advice I would be terrified to post questions on this board because of insulting comebacks like this.

Disappointed

Sometimes ridicule is a good teacher. It's definitely not a good idea for someone with 17 dives to dive solo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom