Lessons for solo diving novice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In which case some people need to stop being over-sensitive and join the real world.
Nothing more irritating that pointless cosy stuff without any real content. If someone gets offended by the above they'd better try to never go out in the real world as someone may make them cry even by accident in minutes.

Off topic, but here goes. I hate it when people call others over-sensitive when offended by someone calling them stupid (or inferring it). There are better ways to state the ideas that have to do with civility.

String, if someone made the comment that something (anything) you did was stupidity, even if you didn't care about their opinion, you would be made of stone if you didn't feel at least a pinch. Or made of sting, as the case may be. :wink:

Back to the topic, now.

Off topic, but here goes. I hate it when people call others over-sensitive when offended by someone calling them stupid (or inferring it). There are better ways to state the ideas that have to do with civility.

String, if someone made the comment that something (anything) you did was stupidity, even if you didn't care about their opinion, you would be made of stone if you didn't feel at least a pinch. Or made of sting, as the case may be. :wink:

Back to the topic, now.
I think the salient point is that as soon as you call someone stupid, they stop wanting to hear what you have to say ... which rather defeats the purpose of responding to them in the first place.

In the real world, people tend to be more polite to each other ... because if you call someone stupid to their face you might end up with a sore nose ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

5 pages of mostly "do as I say, not as I do". (Or to translate from Scuba Board language - I'm a GOOD diver and you're not so you can't do the things that I do). From what I can see, he has a pretty good understanding what solo diving (and it's dangers) entail. He's just asking for advice on what he may not have thought of. So other than take nine tanks, 5 knives, 8 regulators, a spare pair of fins, 4 dive lights, wrap an extra BC around your left leg, and throw in another mask for good measure (if it can fit with the army shovel and pix ax in my backpack), what answers (other than being called stupid, idiot, etc) did he receive?

I solo dive quite a bit. Having a dive buddy is great. However, anyone that doesn't think they are 100% self reliant under water is the idiot. If a person wants to practice their skills and does it under an environment that they are comfortable with and capable of diving in, then more power to them.

So other than take nine tanks, 5 knives, 8 regulators, a spare pair of fins, 4 dive lights, wrap an extra BC around your left leg, and throw in another mask for good measure (if it can fit with the army shovel and pix ax in my backpack), what answers (other than being called stupid, idiot, etc) did he receive?
Quite a bit, I think ... I'm more concerned about a person who asks if it's OK to solo dive using a rental reg and no redundant air than I am about his overall experience level ... which I think is inadequate in any case.

However, I do think the article I posted in the first reply to this thead gave him sufficient information to draw his own conclusions ... irrespective of experience or gear.

It's all about skills ... and managing stress ... two things that most new divers haven't yet gotten a very good handle on.

I solo dive quite a bit. Having a dive buddy is great. However, anyone that doesn't think they are 100% self reliant under water is the idiot.
Weren't you just complaining about other people calling someone an idiot?

If a person wants to practice their skills and does it under an environment that they are comfortable with and capable of diving in, then more power to them.
OK .... but based on the OP's questions, I didn't get the impression he was real comfortable and capable. The nature of his questions said very clearly that he's not ready to solo dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a solo diver I suggest you log a little more experience . First rule is be familiar with your gear , operative word "your" . Its hit and miss with rentals . First rule ,part B , dive well within your limits . With your experience your limits are still narrow . I like your enthusiasm , i know how many dives have been scrubbed due to buddy's bailing . There's some real good advice on this thread , please read and think about the advice being offered . Enjoy P.S. my first certified dive ended up a solo dive , drift dive in cozumel , by the time i cleared my ears and made the bottom the group was gone , i learned the hard way!

OK - I think we can all agree 17 is a bit soon to go it alone with or without double or triple redundancy.

I've only been diving for 17 years. I have never had a problem just showing up and finding someone to dive with at a local dive spot. Or calling up a LDS and hanging out with a advanced OW or something class and volunteer as the off man out buddy.

Be creative in finding buddies starting out and get alot more dives under your belt. Finding buddies is a lot easier then sh.t OMG I'm dead.

Be safe and keep us updated on your progress.

Bob and others - I think this is fair and of value don't you. There are other guys on here who have bezillions of dives and solo - but 17 is not the time to be thing of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom