Lessons I learned on kayak dive #1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobstah Slayah

Contributor
Reaction score
I really wanted to go out into the ocean by myself, but I followed the directions of a more experienced yakker. I instead decided to just take the yak in a lake that is very close to my house. Let me start by saying that I have never dove alone, in fresh water, without a wetsuit, off a kayak or during twilight (I'm just a night dive away from AOW). In spite of all of this I felt confident enough in my diving skills to at least give this thing a try.
Lesson 1:
The wheeleez for the kayak are great but it took me a while to get the center of gravity correct with the gear. They need to go back farther than you'd think.

Lesson 2:
Although I had read a few post reguarding the uselessness of the bungees for the tank well, It took me actually trying it to see why. Bungees will snap back and smack you when the clip doesn't hook. I need straps!

Lesson 3: I was able to paddle out fairly easily and get to a suitable spot to get ready to gear up. I put my mask, fins gloves and other small gear in the front hatch. It wasn't hard to retrieve and had no problem doing so. This may be different while pitching about in the ocean. While I had purchased an anchor, I hadn't bothered to attach it yet. So while retrieving my small gear I had drifted back almost to shore. Attach the anchor, it is useful!

Lesson 4: I paddled back, got the tank and BCD out of the well and threw it in the water. I jumped in and suited up with no problems. Oh boy is the water warm! After double checking the flag and line attached to the kayak, down I went. After 10 feet visibility was about 2-3'. The other thing I noticed was that the water was no longer warm at all, if fact it was damn cold! I went down to 20' and had to hold my gadge right up to my mask to see. I switched on my light and shined it toward the bottom. Nothing but murk! I established boyancy and began to swim. I couldn't even tell the kayak was attached. Now I began to wonder if it was. I popped back up and everything was fine. Back down to about 20 feet, I began to get nervous. It wasn't any one thing but all of the factors together, no vis, cold and diving alone. I was fine but knew when to say enough. Don't try too many "firsts"!

Lesson 5: I was able to take off the gear, stow it and reboard the yak without a problem. I even jumped off and back on several times to see how easy it was. I paddled back to the shore. I unloaded the gear to the top of the seawall and struggled to lift the kayak back up on top. 60lbs seems heavier at the end of a busy day and it's easier to get it down the 5' seawall than up!!!

Overall, I learned a lot and decided not to take it out solo on my first try in the ocean. Although I would have felt more comfortable diving there than in the lake. I need to take it to the shop to get some straps installed and need to figure a way to mount the anchor. I really look forward to ocean diving with this. Hope to see some of you soon!
Dan

Dan, what a great trip report! You did very well and came back happy. I hope we can work it out so that I can go on your first ocean kayaking dive with you.

Awesome. The kayaking part is about exactly what I found. I went in the indian river lagoon for about 6 hours and thought.. this thing is as stable as a 77 cadillac. The ocean was different but it is not tipsy turvey impossible. Like you I found getting on and off to be as easy as say.."falling off a log."

Anchor points. I added to more loops to the bow and attach to the bungiee carry handle with two leashes clipped to the secondary loops just because I am a pessimest.

Three things to take into the WIDE DEEP BLUE --- VHS radio. Bilge Pump. Sponge.

I have a sponge and a SPOT satellite tracking device, I don't have a bilge pump but will get one. Debby, how about Sunday am?

I think I need one more week of healing on this knee. It pains me to say that, but I really need it. I needed help getting in and out of my yak on Thursday night and help getting up the ladder and getting my fins off on Sunday with Conch Republic. Knee just isn't bending right (making it hard to don and doff fins)...and kicking is painful. If I'm feeling less pain by the weekend I will definitely want to join you!!!

I think I need one more week of healing on this knee. It pains me to say that, but I really need it. I needed help getting in and out of my yak on Thursday night and help getting up the ladder and getting my fins off on Sunday with Conch Republic. Knee just isn't bending right (making it hard to don and doff fins)...and kicking is painful. If I'm feeling less pain by the weekend I will definitely want to join you!!!

I hope that your knee feels better!

Thank you, me too. I'm awaiting a call from my doctor for a referral to an orthopedic doc. It's just not healing well enough on its own. I don't know what I need, hopefully just some PT but meanwhile I would NOT be safe on a beach dive for sure, I cannot do the 2-1/2 hours of kicking required, and I'd also have difficulty with a kayak dive. Can you attend the Kayuba meeting Monday night? You'll meet lots of buddies and also learn a lot.

I will definatly try to attend. I'll run it by the wife tonight and let you know. Any suggestions for rigging an anchor on the yak? I'm going to Kayak Jeff's after work today to add straps and a couple of eyelets in front for the towline.

They can tell you about rigging the anchor at the meeting. There are so many ways to do it. I'm not happy with my way and don't think I could even describe it, so I'll be listening too! Definitely bring your wife, it is a very family-oriented club.

Thanks for that report. I'll squirrel this one away with all the other tips I have learned from the board and hopefully remember them all when I get a kayak, whenever that will be.

Debby, hope you get better soon.

diving_emtp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom