Lessons I learned on kayak dive #1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am jealous.
Today I picked up a new station wagon which will hold the kayak.
Saturday I will pick up the kayak.
I have been reading forums from here and the australian kayak forum to get as many pointers as I can.
I plan to have a paddle sunday and monday, Tuesday I will dive.

Am taking note of everything you say.
:)

I went to the Kayak Jeff's yeaterday. Rather than have holes drilled I was able to buy some fabric cover bungees to hold the tank and BCD. I will keep the existing bungees and just use the back two and clip one side of the bungge in addition to the strap. I brought the tank and BCD and it was held very securely. I was looking for a way to add two straps for the area between my legs where a rod pod would go but they didn't have any straps that I liked. I still didn't find a good way to tie off the anchor. I guess I'll just wait until the Kayuba meeting to see if they have any better ideas. Still looking for someone to go this weekend!

I wish my leg wasn't hurting so much. :(

I am going to bust out the camera and show you my anchor tie off today.. later..

The straps on the rod pod should go in the tank well and the bungiee in the tank well on the rod pod in my opinon. If I flood the yak very many times with that rod pod it is going to get GOOPed shut and that will be that. Although with a bilge pump, decent water skills and some time it is easy enough to pump out the bilge if you can get her above the swells long enough.

I took some bolts, 1" washers, and .50 plastic loops. Drilled the holes in the front of the yak. Applied Marine Goop. Bolted them in and WaLa. Now I clip the anchor main clip to the front carry handle which has a nice bungie shock absorber. I now have TWO auxilary lines attached to my spliced anchor line. It is NOT coming off that no matter what.

I am going to bust out the camera and show you my anchor tie off today.. later..

The straps on the rod pod should go in the tank well and the bungiee in the tank well on the rod pod in my opinon. If I flood the yak very many times with that rod pod it is going to get GOOPed shut and that will be that. Although with a bilge pump, decent water skills and some time it is easy enough to pump out the bilge if you can get her above the swells long enough.

I don't actually have the Rod Pod so a tank fits in that space very well. I'm thinking of putting straps where the hinges for the rod pod would go. That picture is exactly what I was going to do yesterday at the shop but it was getting late, also I wanted stainless steel inchworms and they didn't have any. Looks good!

I took some bolts, 1" washers, and .50 plastic loops. Drilled the holes in the front of the yak. Applied Marine Goop. Bolted them in and WaLa. Now I clip the anchor main clip to the front carry handle which has a nice bungie shock absorber. I now have TWO auxilary lines attached to my spliced anchor line. It is NOT coming off that no matter what.

Eric,

Is that a boat snap attached to the carry handle? Boat snaps and carabiners are considered widow makers in the cave diving community. They can easily unsnap themselves... Now, the two bolt snaps on the auxiliary lines will save you from losing your yak if it ever comes undone. I always use bolt snaps instead of boat snaps... much more secure.

I do like the thought of the two aux lines.

Al

SD-- The anchor and line was a gift from my exmother in law years and years ago back when I canoed all the rivers in the central Florida area. The rope came spliced onto the snap in question. Funny that same style hook is used in the crane industry, on every boat winch made, on tow truck cables, lots of sailboat rigging, Special forces harnesses, and various man hoist, safety harnesses. I believe the cocern with the cavers is the fact line will clip into it without your knowledge and tangle you. It will not unsnap unless the spring breaks and bolt snap springs break also I have had it happen.

Either way with three attachment points Murphy will have to bring two friends to get me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom