Lessons to be learned-Death in Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know if someone already mentioned it but part of the edge of the top of Blue Corner (like some other reefs in Palau) doesn't have, never had (not even before El Nino) and will never have corals because of the currents. Of course you can't use the reefhook on every reef but if you know on which reefs how to use it properly then you won't be damaging any corals. I wish all Asian divers would start using reefhooks, that would really save some corals. Good reply from KevinK.

Good point Jag.

I didn't know that Palauman. Thanks for the info. So what is your view on reef hook damage compared to not using a reef hook and just grabbing the reef?

Yes, part of the edge does not have corals but what is happening is that divers hook into the actual coral that is there. Or they grab on like in the photo provided by Dennis. On the Aggressor that is actually part of the reef hook briefing. "Look for dead coral." I am sure some divers like you are able to avoid living coral just by looking at it, maneuvering in current to a dead spot and hooking in, but many are not. There are other hook in dive sites in Palau where I worked very, very hard to find something I thought was not alive to hook into.

Dennis your question above is amusing like someone is a proponent of "grabbing the reef." What a ridiculous question. Hmmm. Do you think grabbing the reef or a reef hook is better? Good question.

Once again, if we cannot dive these sites without damaging them in one way or another, we shouldn't be diving them. And, it is not just the reef hook. Any site that requires divers to continually come in contact with them in strong current and surge, will eventually be destroyed. By hands, hooks, fins, bodies, fin wash etc.

So I guess you have quit diving since no reef will remain pristine when there are divers on it. I see you have not filled out your profile yet. Interesting.

<moderator edit>

This is quite amusing since a lot of my friends are Philippine divers and I'm going back for my third trip this year in September.

How old are you? A lot of your posts, all in Palau threads and all critical, seem to me to be written by a youngster with little dive experience. I guess we will never know.

When my family and I dove Pelileu at Christmas, we brought-along a PLB (personal locator beacon) in a dive canister (sp?). There was a lot of interest from many of the divers and, interestingly enough, from the DM!

Code Monkey:
When my family and I dove Pelileu at Christmas, we brought-along a PLB (personal locator beacon) in a dive canister (sp?). There was a lot of interest from many of the divers and, interestingly enough, from the DM!

I took mine in November and no one asked what it was.

Back
Top Bottom