Let's Talk "Man Overboard"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cripes you guys, I was just being sure to always have one hand on a rail. I’m gonna lug a light around like a lap dog.

Cripes you guys, I was just being sure to always have one hand on a rail. I’m gonna lug a light around like a lap dog.
They taught us that on the Windjammer: "One hand for your drink, one for the boat." I remember one night I wore a PFD on the Jammin desk, tho. Damn! :11:

If I go onto the smoking desk at night on a liveaboard, I may wear my snorkel vest - just in case. :silly:

You won't catch me on a boat of any size at night without a light of some sort. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, I don't know, but I've been that dude in the water at night, its probably one of the worst feelings in the world. At least with a light of some sort you have the small comfort of knowing you can help the people looking for you find you.

As for when to call the Coast Guard, I can't find any actual regs on it (I worked as a civilian for the Coast Guard for four years and I still suck at searching through Coast Guard regs, and I even wrote a few of them :D), but I'd say if you can't find the person in the water within a mater of minutes you need to start calling. They aren't going to get pissed off that you called them and then called back to say nevermind if you've found your guy in the water. And if for some reason they do, I'd rather have some Coasties pissed at me then risk not finding a guy in the water because I didn't get the people with the gear out there soon enough.

But that's just me.

You won't catch me on a boat of any size at night without a light of some sort. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, I don't know, but I've been that dude in the water at night, its probably one of the worst feelings in the world. At least with a light of some sort you have the small comfort of knowing you can help the people looking for you find you.

As for when to call the Coast Guard, I can't find any actual regs on it (I worked as a civilian for the Coast Guard for four years and I still suck at searching through Coast Guard regs, and I even wrote a few of them :D), but I'd say if you can't find the person in the water within a mater of minutes you need to start calling. They aren't going to get pissed off that you called them and then called back to say nevermind if you've found your guy in the water. And if for some reason they do, I'd rather have some Coasties pissed at me then risk not finding a guy in the water because I didn't get the people with the gear out there soon enough.

But that's just me.

Very true! The coasties are always ready to respond to a call for help. But every rescuers favorite call is some variation on "never mind the situation has resolved everyone is safe." Much better to call early and then cancel than to call late and attend a funeral.

man overboard protocols are items that are routinely covered in intro to sailing courses and in seamanship courses taught by coast guard auxiliaries and U.S. Power Squadrons, usually at a very low or nominal price. Several good books on seamanship offer easy to follow instructions.

As divers I think we are pretty good at responding to dive accidents through the efforts of DAN. I think we leave a bity to be desired as boat passengers, which on a small boat, especially a private vessel means "crew".

:rofl3:

I try but I usually have a camera.:11doh:

these lights are teeny weanie, like a zipper pull. Oh---you don't wear clothes on boats?

As for when to call the Coast Guard, I can't find any actual regs on it
commercial dive boats? hmm, well, they are not rquired to have 02, so probably not.

Wave and yell back that you will come back with a beer for them.

There's another way to look at this problem.

When I was in the Navy, anyone topside at night had to be wearing a life jacket with a strobe.

If "man overboard" is a concern, you can help yourself by wearing flotation and carrying a strobe.

7-10-07b-743315.jpg

I dunno Doc. I get funny looks when I'm the only one wearing a vest. Won't that get worse if I add the strobe.

If someone falls overboard in daylight, you can be there will be pics - maybe even a vid suitable for youtube?

Here's one at night...

One from the Bering Sea....

And one where the fish won...

I get funny looks when I'm the only one wearing a vest. Won't that get worse if I add the strobe.

Don, look at this way...you already are wearing the hat.

thanks for the videos, guess he really wanted that fish

...and then there are those people with bad marriages that disapear on cruises.......I want to see the simulator course for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom