LF: digital sources of Tropical Reef Marine ID other than fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AVANTI4

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for some free sources to help with Reef ID. Wondering if there are any free sources out there. I have Gerald Allen's, Paul Humann's Reef Fish Identification which is excellent for fish. Looking for something that might include or focus on animals other than fish. Nudi's, crab, shrimp, cuttle, seahorse, anemone etc. Any help appreciated 🙏🏼

Reactions: OTF
Reef Creature Tropical Pacific Humann and Deloach. Fishbase.se and Whatsthatfish.com. The latter can be a bit thin but it's a start. These have some "non-fish" IDs. I assume you want pacific.
Nudibranch and Sea slug Identification, Indo pacific, Gosliner et al
Seahorses and cuttlefish are fish so you are crossing lines with the focus you mentioned.

Reef Creature Tropical Pacific Humann and Deloach. Fishbase.se and Whatsthatfish.com. The latter can be a bit thin but it's a start. These have some "non-fish" IDs. I assume you want pacific.
Seahorses and cuttlefish are fish so you are crossing lines with the focus you mentioned.
Not free. Nor was the Fish ID book he mentioned.

Not free. Nor was the Fish ID book he mentioned.
Fishbase and whatsthatfish are free. Seems the fish ID book is already paid for by someone. So borrow the reef creature - free.

I've found that field guides are one of the few remaining areas where the internet is seriously lacking and physical books still still rein supreme.

There are some exceptions - there are some excellent birding and terrestrial plant apps, and some specific regional websites/apps (eg. njscuba and MarineLifeoftheNorthAtlantic for the Northeast USA). But it's frustratingly difficult to identify anything but the most common pretty fish via online resources.

Seems the fish ID book is already paid for by someone.
You mean someone you know has the Fish ID book and you are borrowing the book?
So borrow the reef creature - free.
Yeah, borrow one.
Is that REALLY what you want and are looking for? Books to borrow?

You explicitly say digital in your OP.
I assume you mean you have an unpaid for digital copy of the Fish ID book?
And now you are looking or another digital unpaid for copy of the Creature book?
If so, I am not going to help you break the copyright law and steal money from the pockets of the book authors and publishers.

I picked up a used set of the reef ID books on ebay - you could try that or other used book sources. Used books are generally in excellent condition.

Awesome I'll check out these links. I was always told cuttlefish weren't actually fish. But yes pacific would be great.

You mean someone you know has the Fish ID book and you are borrowing the book?

Yeah, borrow one.
Is that REALLY what you want and are looking for? Books to borrow?

You explicitly say digital in your OP.
I assume you mean you have an unpaid for digital copy of the Fish ID book?
And now you are looking or another digital unpaid for copy of the Creature book?
If so, I am not going to help you break the copyright law and steal money from the pockets of the book authors and publishers.
I think you are a bit confused. I'm the OP. I have a physical copy of Reef fish ID. I don't want any other physical copies as I travel a lot and don't want to lug books around. Simply asking for free digital sources if any.

I picked up a used set of the reef ID books on ebay - you could try that or other used book sources. Used books are generally in excellent condition.
Loved ebay when I lived in the states. I move around after each dive season in SE Asia hence looking for digital sources at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom