LF: digital sources of Tropical Reef Marine ID other than fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you are a bit confused. I'm the OP. I have a physical copy of Reef fish ID. I don't want any other physical copies as I travel a lot and don't want to lug books around. Simply asking for free digital sources if any.
Sorry if I misunderstood your OP. You can purchase digital copies of all the Reef ID books by Humann and others. Except for the Smithsonian apps for iOS, everything else that is free is either very limited or not very good.

Sorry if I misunderstood your OP. You can purchase digital copies of all the Reef ID books by Humann and others. Except for the Smithsonian apps for iOS, everything else that is free is either very limited or not very good.
And are you going to apologize to @ColoDale for suggesting he was trying to "break the copyright law and steal money from the pockets of the book authors and publisher" when he was doing jo such thing???

And are you going to apologize to @ColoDale for suggesting he was trying to "break the copyright law and steal money from the pockets of the book authors and publisher" when he was doing jo such thing???
LOL Sure, and he should apologize for the lack of clarity in his OP. He should have said it was a (presumably) unpaid-for digital version of a book he owned, and not said he wanted unpaid digital versions of other books he did not own. Or am I still misunderstanding?

LOL Sure, and he should apologize for the lack of clarity in his OP. He should have said it was a (presumably) unpaid-for digital version of a book he owned, and not said he wanted unpaid digital versions of other books he did not own. Or am I still misunderstanding?
Lol yourself - you are very much misunderstanding the poster’s response to the OP (as well as seemingly confusing the poster with the OP). From what I read, he was clearly responding to the OP and merely provided suggestions on where he could find info he was looking for. You also seem to miss where the OP already owned the Fish ID book.

The responding poster did not suggest not to buy or to steal the books - he just suggested to borrow a book and there is zero wrong with that.

Geez!

Awesome I'll check out these links. I was always told cuttlefish weren't actually fish. But yes pacific would be great.
Occasionally some of the mirrored databases for fishbase are not reachable (like .org for me that sometimes says page not found). In many cases it will automatically redirect.

Lol yourself - you are very much misunderstanding the poster’s response to the OP (as well as seemingly confusing the poster with the OP). From what I read, he was clearly responding to the OP and merely provided suggestions on where he could find info he was looking for. You also seem to miss where the OP already owned the Fish ID book.

The responding poster did not suggest not to buy or to steal the books - he just suggested to borrow a book and there is zero wrong with that.

Geez!
You are correct. I confused the responses to ColoDale and the OP. Apologies to the former, not to the latter. I reiterate that if you own a copy of a book, you can also have a digital copy. But if someone else owns the book, your digital copy is theft. And that is what the OP is asking for, no?

You are correct. I confused the responses to ColoDale and the OP. Apologies to the former, not to the latter. I reiterate that if you own a copy of a book, you can also have a digital copy. But if someone else owns the book, your digital copy is theft. And that is what the OP is asking for, no?
NO WHERE did I say that... I already have a great book I bought for fish ID... how are you confusing this? I go diving... I see nudibranch, I see anemone, I see shrimp, I just want to know what they are and I don't want to buy a physical book for it. I'm seeing if there are any digital sources to ID them (NOT FISH). How is this so hard to understand???

OP, you clearly want digital and you clearly want free.
Looking for some free sources to help with Reef ID.

I don't want any other physical copies as I travel a lot and don't want to lug books around. Simply asking for free digital sources if any.

looking for digital sources at the moment.

I'm seeing if there are any digital sources (maybe free) to ID them
The ID books you want exist and are available as digital copies or apps, but are not free. Please don't use bootleg digital copies of copyrighted books.

The ID books you want exist and are available as digital copies or apps, but are not free. Please don't use bootleg digital copies of copyrighted books.
I asked for digital and I asked for free, so those sources are not options! DONE! I never asked for anything that wasn't free... If you don't have anything useful to comment just don't comment at all.

It's almost Christmas. Let's play nice for a little while and leave Scrooge out of it.

I have the electronic editions of Reef Fish ID by Humann and Deloach and a few others. They are horrible to use. Really poor implementation. I have licenses for 5 users. Let me see if I can figure out how to transfer one to the OP. Watch this space. I'll DM the OP if I can figure it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom