Libra? Isla? DIva? Luna? Which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rosie:
I have a Diva LX and although the position underwater is great (because of the wing), I find it does tend to push me face down on the surface. CuriousMe, you are probably right, so I am going to try inflating it less to see if that helps, but I suspect that the weights being at the front also contributes to the problem.

Other than that, it is a lovely comfortable fit but I read somewhere that most newer jacket-style BCDs are designed so that they inflate outwards and thus don't crush your rib-cage anyway. Any thoughts on that?

cheers
Rosie

Rosie, try leaning back on the wing as well. I'm surprised that it pushes you forward. Do you split your weights between the front weight pockets and the trim weight pouches on the tank band?

Peace,
Cathie

I bought a Diva LX this winter, and although I have yet to do some real diving with it, I have used it in the pool a few times. Here are my loves and hates so far:

Love:
1. The fit. It is very comfortable. I especially like the bra.
2. The hybrid design. It's the best of both worlds, and it sits me out of the water heads-up very nicely. Also, I like to swim upside down and look at the surface sometimes and a back mounted bladder would make this difficult.
3. The lift capacity. Has over 30lbs of lift capacity which was a concern of mine since I wear 22lbs of lead for cold water diving. I had an Isla and loved it but it only had a LC of 23 lbs.--too close for comfort and I was seeing the limitations when I went below 70 feet.
4. The surelock weight system. It is very easy to dump your weights and if you use it right and make sure it is locked in, you shouldn't lose it accidentally. Also, for cold water diving, I put 10 in the pockets and 10 on a weight belt and it keeps me very balanced.
5. Very well made product.

Hates:
1. The Inflator hose. I found it very difficult to dump air so much so that I had my LDS put an Oceanic inflator hose on it--HUGE difference. Now it deflates easily.
2. The tank strap. Even though it has tank traction, the strap still gets loose, even if you get it wet first. (My husband has the same problem with his older Seaquest) We replaced our tank straps with the Scubapro strap that is supposed to be awesome. (still have to try this out, so the jury is still out.)
3. Putting 20 lbs of weight in the front pockets made me very front heavy and I felt my feet were sticking straight up.
4. When I am all geared up for cold water, the pockets are impossible to use. Not so much of a problem with just a 3mm wetsuit, but the zipper is still awkward--wish it was velcro.

If I was just diving in warm water, I would have stuck with my Isla. It was very comfortable and easy to use. But, I am looking forward to using my Diva in 2 weeks at Catalina Island. I hope I got all the bugs worked out.

Good luck with the shopping--but, buy what is most comfortable for you.

I too am curious - why the flack over the Ladyhawk - it is ScubaPro's BC isn't it? I have the Oceanic Isla and I like it - but we are all different. The Isla is the only thing I have that ins't ScubaPro. The LDS didn't have any ladies SP BCs when I got mine.

Becky

Dear bsquyres,
As if you didn't have enough choices... my daughter and I use the Dacor Elite (the newer version.) We rented several (ScubaPro Classic, Genesis Athena) and kept coming back to it. We ordered them through LeisurePro and had a long wait, but it was worth it for 1) excellent fit, 2) easy use, 3) the clip/Velco integrated weight fasteners, and 4) large zippered pockets.
We've used them in late fall 2003 and in pool dives and have no complaints.

While we're at it, has your husband tried the Dacor Talon? My husband is very pleased with his.

I was not happy with the integrated weights on the Zeagle brand. One pull and you lose all your weights, and I understand it takes a while to rethread the cording. With pocket weights I can remove them for cleaning, drying and storage, and also I can hand them up before climbing onto a boat or out of a pool.

Nay:
What flack were they giving you? I'm buying the Ladyhawk tomorrow. The Libra and Diva both came very highly recommended and I also tried on the Eva and Zeagle Ranger but the Ladyhawk seems to fit the best. I don't really like the pocket but will have to try it and I'll let you know. Between my husband and I, we're spending almost four grand tomorrow.:icon10: I'm still in denial about that one.
Wish us luck!

Nay -- Well everyone kept telling me I'd end up face first in the water at the surface and that I "just wouldn't like it." In fact my husband and I got into an argument with me finally telling him that we are not the same and therefore why would what suits him suit me (He is 6'2", 260 lbs and I am 5'7", 185 lbs). Anyway, I decided to do ahead and get a jacket style, especially when I realized the chest strap of the ladyhawk was too small! I really like the Luna, so I'm happy. :wink:

Get what suits YOU! By the way...$4000...been there this year! :11: It can give you pause...

Trisha:
Dear bsquyres,
As if you didn't have enough choices... my daughter and I use the Dacor Elite (the newer version.)

The only choices I had in women's BCs were:

Ladyhawk
Diva (both)
Isla (old and new)
Luna

I also tried ALL of Oceanic (straps too wide), Scuba Pro (really liked the Classic Plus -- didn't like the price), Sherwood and Cressi Sub men's BCs. I really didn't need more choices, but I would have accepted them gladly. In fact, I would have driven 2.5 hours to try on a Luna (I was that frustrated :15a: ) if I hadn't found another LDS that had one.

:crafty:

I tried a Ladyhawk and Isla, but finally settled on the Diva LX because it fit me the best. JDF is on track with her review of her Diva, although I have not found either the inflator hose or tank strap to be an issue. It is a bit bulkier by the sides than my husband's Oceanic, which seems to be more streamlined, but the Diva's quick release system for the integrated weights is much better designed than the Oceanic. I only wish that the Diva come with a sternum strap.

-Suzanne

I recently bought a Dacor Extremelle and I love it! It fits like a glove and doesn't squeeeeze the livin' daylights out of me when fully inflated.

Hemlon - Gotta ask - Did you buy the one ScubaToys is offering? Great deal, but they tell me that it's not all that attractive (though it's really about comfort, not style, I know). I was thinking about that purchase too, but I've never tried it and am hesitant to buy without trying...likes and dislikes that you have with it?

Thanks!

I absolutely love my Diva BC...after using other BC's, I just cannot imagine using anything else again. I don't mind the pocket weights at all...they have never been a problem for me, and are very easy to remove and hand up to the dive assistants (or, toss over the edge of the boat, if no-one is on the other side - ouch!). The stretch of the front of the vest is incredible for the woman with a slightly larger breast size...makes a huge difference in stability, comfort and security. The padding on the inside backside of the BC is great, too. I love the inflation mechanism. I have never had a problem with mine pushing me forward? I guess we are all different, and one's experience is really based on how one uses it, and what her body shape is? Regardless, I LOVE my Diva BC...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom