life after death for divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I think it's a good idea, I rather like the idea that you can be surrounded by little fishes for eternity... :)

As for the environmental thing, I think this type of funeral stuff is too uncommon to be dangerous. It's just a small artificial reef, isn't it ?

when the earth plunges into the sun.:D

My husband and I are avid divers and I've told him to just cremate me, put me in a shoebox and dump my ashes on "our" favorite dive site.

My father recently passed away and my mother and I went through the task of picking out a casket, the lining of the casket, the container in the ground to put the casket in and the gravesite itself. This was all to the tune of over $12,000, which I think is just taking advantage of grieving family members.

After having that experience, I don't want that kind of money spent to just have me stuck in the ground.

Reeflover

Reeflover once bubbled...
My father recently passed away and my mother and I went through the task of picking out a casket, the lining of the casket, the container in the ground to put the casket in and the gravesite itself. This was all to the tune of over $12,000, which I think is just taking advantage of grieving family members.

After having that experience, I don't want that kind of money spent to just have me stuck in the ground.
Reeflover

If your loved ones need a place to "visit" when you're gone, you can have a headstone put anywhere (backyard, favorite place in the woods, etc.) where they can go. No need for there to be a body under there...

:angel:

I have enjoyed life to much to be buried under ground, in some cold, damp, pit, berift of light ! I want to be partly above ground to enjoy the sun. Partly in the water , that gave me so much enjoyment, and scatter the rest so I can help things grow.......Have you ever noticed the shafts of light streaking through the clouds ? They are called Carpuscullar Rays. I told my kids that when they see those shafts of light at any time after I'm gone, that it would be me looking down on them, that's how I'll smile.
WreckTec

would the way to go...or burial at sea (I'd rather be fish food than worm food)...anything but a dank, old coffin.

DivePartner1 once bubbled...
I dive with a mortician . . .

Say, DP1...you sure know how to pick 'em! Don't know if I'd dive with somebody who deals in death. Me...I dive with two lifeboat crew members!

:D

...I've not actually left any specific instructions, but I've communicated to quite a few people that cremation and distribution is the way I want to be disposed of. Where changes as my life changes, but right now; two ceremonies... half of my ashes get dumped @ Tuckerman's Ravine. The other half in the water somewhere....

Wreck/Tec once bubbled...
I told my kids that when they see those shafts of light at any time after I'm gone, that it would be me looking down on them, that's how I'll smile.
WreckTec

That's nice :)

WW

2 years ago diving in Diver's Cove Laguna I was working with 2 other instructors taking a group of about 12 people out. On the navigation dive with the advanced students the lead instructor found a little gold box, it was sitting right on the sand in about 20 feet of water. He brought it up to the surface where everyone was relaxing. He showed us all and everyone was thinking - treasure! It was intricate really expensive looking with pearl edges and what appeared to be actual gold inlay.

One of the divemasters pried open the box and used his dive knife to cut into the plastic packaging inside. Thinking drugs or something, he dipped his finger into grey/black powder to feel around and pulled up something dark about 2 inches long. Suddenly one of the divemasters yells out "OMG its a bone!"

The instructor holding the box shirked back from the thought and the cremated remains flew through the air and landed all over about 6 students who started screaming and dunking themselves in the water. The DM calmly took the box from the instructor and pulled out a piece of paper it was folded and indicated the date of the funeral (two weeks prior) and the name of the deceased. He closed it back up best he could and dove back down and buried it in the sandy bottom. We told him never to speak of where he put it.

To this day some of us still joke about diving in Old man Johnson's Cove, Laguna.

Back
Top Bottom