Light of Tomorrow ?! Lets design it ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adjustable beam LED head, from say 6deg to 30deg.

Paul, we should have it ready soon ... the challenge is to not to add any size to the light head so its tricky but will do.

I'd consider a new light if it had a fixed beam, with equivalent punch of my 24w Sandho light, with a minimum 5 hour burn time and a smaller canister. I prefer the switch on the can, no EO connectors and it would be nice if the light head was compact as well. And I need to be able to run over it with my truck. :)

Paul, we should have it ready soon ... the challenge is to not to add any size to the light head so its tricky but will do.

I was deciding between "light for me" 7XPG and the MB Sub VB-50 so maybe I'll hold off for a little while.

I was deciding between "light for me" 7XPG and the MB Sub VB-50 so maybe I'll hold off for a little while.

Well, I don't really know everything about VB-50 but had an occasion to compare it to Light For Me light visiting NJ dive shop (dealer of MB Sub) and :

- Light For Me 4TEC gives you the same amount of light (visually, although its only 18W)
- Light For Me 4TEC light head is 1/3 of the size and weight of MB Sub VB-50

VB-50 is focusable but looking only at above advantages of 4TEC wouldn't pick MB Sub

7XRE is more powerful light than VB-50, much more intensive hot spot and colder (more natural) light color, I think that we will post a video from live head to head comparison of VB-50 and Light For Me lights

focusable head to 90 deg. optoin for constant brightness when changing focus. 250w HID. usable for imax film format camera, or possibly red camera.

The Light of Tomorrow, hmmm. This is my ideal light:

1. Single LED Diode, equivalent to 50 watt HID
  2. focusable, someone said 6 - 30 degree, I agree. No hot spots
  3. 3 power level, 1) 21 watt HID equivalent, 2 ) 35 watt HID equivalent, 3) max power 50 watt HID equivalent
  4. min of 5 hr burn time at Max power
  5. Battery or power source no bigger than the current DR slim canister
  6. light head no bigger than the current single diode heads
  7. recharge time in a couple of hours
  8. cord to light head is water tight, so if you puncture the cord jacket, it does not flood the canister or the head
  9. battery or power source sealed, but also user replaceable
  10. light temperature, 4,500K or 5,000K
  11. no TSA restriction on battery, or power source
  12. battery or power source is ECO friendly when it's time to dispose of it
  13. total of light would be around 4 lbs
  14. switch: no physical switch but a piezo button that could turn the unit on or off, and it would be recessed in the lid, so you can not accidental turn it off.

Last edited:

2. focusable, someone said 6 - 30 degree, I agree
  3. 3 power level, 1) 21 watt HID equivalent, 2 ) 35 watt HID equivalent, 3) max power 50 watt HID equivalent
  5. Battery no bigger than the current DR slim canister
  8. cord to light head is water tight, so if you puncture the cord jacket, it does not flood the canister or the head
  9. battery sealed, but also user replaceable

Put me down for one of those!!

Well, I don't really know everything about VB-50 but had an occasion to compare it to Light For Me light

7XRE is more powerful light than VB-50, much more intensive hot spot and colder (more natural) light color, I think that we will post a video from live head to head comparison of VB-50 and Light For Me lights

Please post the video of the two, I would love to see it.

Please post the video of the two, I would love to see it.

I have asked already dive shops who represents MB Sub to borrow one for direct comparison but got turned down so if anybody reading this post use one of VB-50, live in NJ or PA and would like to schedule a dive so we can compare VB-50 to Light For Me torches please let me know via private message.

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

2. focusable, someone said 6 - 30 degree, I agree. No hot spots
  5. Battery or power source no bigger than the current DR slim canister
  9. battery or power source sealed, but also user replaceable
  11. no TSA restriction on battery, or power source
  12. battery or power source is ECO friendly when it's time to dispose of it
  13. total of light would be around 4 lbs
  14. switch: no physical switch but a piezo button that could turn the unit on or off, and it would be recessed in the lid, so you can not accidental turn it off.

Hmm ... the list isn't short but make sense, it is a good light of the future. I would say if our head engineer will develop and use new ideas in same peace we could expect something alike maybe next year or so. Stay in touch !

Back
Top Bottom