Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68:
OK, what's a Reflector and what's a EKPP ??? :)

The HID lighting element is inserted into the reflector.

The reflector, here, does the same thing that a relector in a flashlight does...concentrates the beam of light. By moving the HID lighting element in and out of the reflector the beam of light can be "focused"...just like many flashlights allow "focusing" the beam by twisting the bezel.

EKPP reflector is a killer reflector. I believe that the reflecting material is different than the Halcyon and the shroud is a bit longer than the older Halcyon models...shading the light a bit to reduce annoying those around you. Also, the EKKP reflector doesn't have the number 3 stamped in the reflecting surface like the Halcyon does...some folks report that this "3" lessens the quality of the beam?

For whatever reason, I have heard that the new EKKP reflector increases the focusing of the beam by as much as 25% compared to the Halcyon. All I know is that with my EKKP reflector my beam looks like a light saber. I have a Halcyon reflector but I haven't yet made any side by side usage comparisons.

The downside...no one carries EKKP reflectors here in the states...well not yet anyways.

They can be ordered from the DIR-Zone...and Sandro is great to deal with...but shipping is a bit...well...slow. Sent on the day I ordered it, it took nearly a month to arrive...and same for others that I've talked to.

I gotta run...maybe later I'll post some pics...

The EKKP reflector is bigger,too. The Halcyon fits inside it with room to spare.

Stephen Ash:
The EKKP reflector is bigger,too. The Halcyon fits inside it with room to spare.

Here is a link at the Decostop where I posted comparison pictures of my new Halcyon reflector and EKPP reflector. The size difference is not that enormous, but the focus of the light beam is quite a bit better with the EKPP reflector.

http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8965

Anders

Anders has a very nice review at the link he posted.

Great pics, too!

Man, I don't know what the deal is with that web site. I can't log in...weird! Could you please cut and paste the post?

I dive with folks that have both the 10w and 18w Halcyon light heads. Since here we rarely dive at night, one of the, if not the primary purpose the lightsre used for is to communicate with buddies in the daytime.

For this purpose, I must say that the 18w is head and shoulders over the 10w. You can signal a buddy much easier...

I admit I prefer the compactness of the 10, but the output is paltry in comparison. If I had the 10 and dove with someone with the 18, I am sure I'd have lumen envy in a heartbeat...

18W is most definetly CRAZY! for me it was more of a cost thing, as I was able to find a nice 10W (used for a good price. I've seen the 18W and LOVE it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom