Lightest dry weight BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oxycheq UltraLite Plate with 18# Mach V Wing

Total weight with SS D-rings and XS Scuba weight pockets is about 5#

Attachments

• PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 139
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 125
Oxycheq UltraLite Plate with 18# Mach V Wing

Total weight with SS D-rings and XS Scuba weight pockets is about 5#

Thanks for sharing! I wonder how light we could get that rig with ABS hardware...

How much does the 18# mach 5 weigh (give or take). I know my 40# mach 5 extreme weighs about 4 lbs on its own.

Here I have plastic buckles and O ring D rings, replacing these metal components with the plastic does save some weight. I have not weighed it but it is not much at all, the plate weighs virtually nothing, the webbing and the little 18 pound wing, pretty skimpy. One inch crotch strap. it will be difficult to get lighter than this short of an old fashioned horsecollar.

DSCF0171.jpg

My mask is bigger than my wing!!!!

ChisVintageDiverPics2009014.jpg

Can you imagine that some people use those new fangled silly plastic breathing things! Slonda, notice how my reg is properly positioned.

N

The icon's name is "lotsa love".

It is impossible to keep a thread on track on this freaking board. I should just call DSS and Oxycheq myself and forget this ever happened.

I have 3 oxycheq wings, but I am afraid to post a reply. I use them with back plates. Don't want to get flamed.

Maybe next time.

(assorted plates too)

Edit: "Lots of love" :)

Last edited:
Nem,

Right now I am working on a setup based off of the standard plastic plate that came with the USD tank packs and some 1" webbing from Reef Scuba. I'm going to run 1" ABS d-rings and a 1" weight belt buckle. I think if I couple that to the DSS tropical travel wing, I can get a travel setup that is 2.5 lbs or less. Tobin says that wing only weighs 1.4 pounds, which makes it the lightest wing I've ever seen. My Dive Rite travel wing is 2.5 pounds, and my Oxycheq mach 5 extreme is about 4 for comparison's sake. I have to wait for the materials to get here, but once I do I'll post the results.

Slonda, just run your military travel harness through the slots in the wing, you don't need a back plate at all, you know that of course? N

Slonda, just run your military travel harness through the slots in the wing, you don't need a back plate at all, you know that of course? N

I've done that, which is a pretty low drag setup as well. What I am going for is something that is one complete assembly, you know something that I can use more or less like a normal BC. I love my oxycheq rig, and it will be around long after I am gone, but it weighs over 7 lbs. My military harness is cool too, but it takes a little time to setup and get right. Besides, I am really curious if I can make an ultralight BC.

Well, scratch the plastic plate. Even with cross-drilling and weight reduction, it still weighed 18 ounces. It looks like the ultralite plate is simply the best option. So once the webbing and the ABS hardware gets here, I am going to see how light I can make this thing and then post some photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom