Lightest, smallest regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to remember (which I only bring up because it annoys me so :biggrin:) is that you can't tell underwater buoyancy from dry weight alone! :D

Compare the size of the second stages, of course, but don't get hung up in their dry weight. A second stage that weighs slightly more but displaces more water may well be "lighter" when underwater than another second stage that weighs less but also displaces less.

(For second stages, compactness and underwater weight tend to be in opposition. Thankfully, there don't seem to be many weight-of-a-brick regs around, so find one that fits and use a comfortable mouthpiece -- ComfoBite, Atomic, SeaCure, whatever -- and the in-water, in-use weight of the second stage shouldn't even be a factor.)

Thanks again all
Actually she has no complain with any rented regulator with smaller mouth piece, so far. But, our local DS has new instructor who very concern with safety. Now, they refuse her for bubble maker. They said their equipment is not suitable for kid as all are designed for adult. Then, they advised us to purchase gear special for kid. I understood there's special BC for kid but I have no idea with special regulator for kids. Further they clarify as any light and very compact regulator with small mouth piece. Yes, they give me example of Proton Metal She dive available for sale (not for rent) at the shop but the price is very very expensive (more than USD800 bucks here). So, I am looking for other less expensive alternative.
Ofcourse I am very concern with the safety - that's why I am also asking wheather the big price difference between mares she dive and rebel or other regulator is really relating to safety.

Sounds to me like they are trying to take advantage of you. If she has been using a standard reg with smaller mouthpiece there is no real reason to change especially for bubble makers where the supervision is supposed to be very close and intense. A smaller reg would most likely be more comfortable and I'd try to find an Oceanic zeta or even Aqualung micra on ebay if you can get them serviced near you.

Ben
Thanks for inputs. I did check the Aqualung mikron site, there's no weight data for the second stage. Seem not very easy to find this reg. at online shop. I've checked ST, Scuba.com, divers-supply, leisurepro - can't find.

Greg
For mares proton 12, the second stage is 176 gram and for Rebel 12/2 is 200 seem not small different but the prices of Rebel is much cheaper than Proton.
Any significant difference (particularly on safety) between Proton and Mares for bubble maker - or Jr. OW - all the time we are in tropical warm water.

thanks again

The origional Micra no longer appears to be available. They do, however, have an adjustable version out.
The Micra ADJ 2nd stage weighs 6 ounces and with a Titan 1st stage runs $495 full RETAIL (don't pay this :D) If I can help you find one, PM me.

They are feeding you a load of BS and are doing their best to line their pockets...

Hi,
I am looking for very small (not just the mouth piece) and light regulator for my 8 years daughter. She really enjoy bubble maker.
Thanks for any advise

rebreather2.jpg

:wink:
Light? Check!
Small? Check!​

Thanks for all advise

I decided to go with Mares Proton 12 Metal, not because the other recommended regulator not good, but not very easy to find them (mikra, micron, zeta) in the most popular on-line stores (I am not ebay fans)and or the price out of my budget such as the 007 rebreather which is nice, small and light - unfortunately I can't afford the prices. good deal with ScubaToys for two set Mares Proton 12 Metal packages ( I have 2 daughters), with shorter hoses at no extra cost and small mouth piece.

Wisnu, if you are looking for light weight, why don,t you opt for the regular Proton 2nd stages (made of plastic). That is what I have and they work great and are much much lighter... Metal 2nd stages, although usually considered better, are certainly going to be heavier for your girls...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

Codman, thanks
You're right; I though the second stage mares proton 12 all are same. I checked again, the metal 2nd stage is 67 gram heavier than the plastic one.
I'll try to e-mail Joey of ST; hope still possible to change at least one of them. But, seem ST does not have the proton 12 plastic.

Back
Top Bottom