Lightest, smallest regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I am looking for very small (not just the mouth piece) and light regulator for my 8 years daughter. She really enjoy bubble maker.
Thanks for any advise

ScubaPro MK 11/R295 is about as compact as you can get, plus it is an overbalanced diaphram first stage.

aqualung titan micra or the new mikron is not.

What the hell are you doing taking an 8 year old diving???????????? Do you have any idea the kind of physical damage you are doing to her??? Not to mention that they are not mature enough to handle any problem.
Unless you know the child you really have no data to form an opinion.

He probably just didn't know what the Bubblemaker program is.
Bubblemaker be damned ... I learned to dive at 6, my son at 8 and I know lots of other children, especially of women marine science types, that learned to dive at similar ages. I know of none who were injured doing so or who presented with any difficulties later in life that in any way appeared related.

The smallest mouthpiece might not be the most comfortable. My son didn't like the small one, so he tried one of the larger ones with a retainer lip - which he liked well.

The points about size versus under-water weight are well taken. I wouldn't be too concerned about the actual size and dry weight, especially at the expense of safety and reliability and serviceability. If it were me, I would simply rest easy and go with Scubapro, perhaps an S555 or even R395--with any Scubapro first stage.

Thanks again all
Actually she has no complain with any rented regulator with smaller mouth piece, so far. But, our local DS has new instructor who very concern with safety. Now, they refuse her for bubble maker. They said their equipment is not suitable for kid as all are designed for adult. Then, they advised us to purchase gear special for kid. I understood there's special BC for kid but I have no idea with special regulator for kids. Further they clarify as any light and very compact regulator with small mouth piece. Yes, they give me example of Proton Metal She dive available for sale (not for rent) at the shop but the price is very very expensive (more than USD800 bucks here). So, I am looking for other less expensive alternative.
Ofcourse I am very concern with the safety - that's why I am also asking wheather the big price difference between mares she dive and rebel or other regulator is really relating to safety.

What the hell are you doing taking an 8 year old diving???????????? Do you have any idea the kind of physical damage you are doing to her??? Not to mention that they are not mature enough to handle any problem.

Dude you get all excited make this huge call and then disapear whats up with that? If youve got some facts to back up YOUR fears Id be most interested in hearing them...

Or are you a woman who was once traumatised as a 8 year old diving?:D

All jokes aside tho is there a reason that he shouldnt be doing this that can be medically substantiated?

I cant think of what possible physical damage this could be doing her, having said that Im not a Dr. I mean as a bubble maker its not like shes going to 30 meters, doing deco stops or using Nitrox blah blah blah, and as another poster stated Padi Buble maker is from 8, if thats so i would have thought it was ok, no? Padi is wrong? are they endangering our children?

Come back and play Im really really interested in what you have to say. Thanks

There are numerous documented cases of serious medical complications to children who dive too young. Webbed feet, the development of gills and a tendency to pee anytime the urge strikes, without looking for a toilet first, are the most common.

There are psychological issues as well. I know my friend's son started referring to his testicles as barnacles and I won't even mention his tube sponge. That kid's gonna have issues.

I know I have some documentation to support this around here somewhere, let me get back to you on that.

But please, no cave or wreck diving before age 9, OK?

Heck, I took my cat diving before he was 8. Didn't hurt him. He couldn't handle a regulator so I had to use a full helmet fed by a Micra adjusted for freeflow.

There are numerous documented cases of serious medical complications to children who dive too young. Webbed feet, the development of gills and a tendency to pee anytime the urge strikes, without looking for a toilet first, are the most common.

There are psychological issues as well. I know my friend's son started referring to his testicles as barnacles and I won't even mention his tube sponge. That kid's gonna have issues.

I know I have some documentation to support this around here somewhere, let me get back to you on that.

But please, no cave or wreck diving before age 9, OK?

Nice one:rofl3:

But you better find that documentation or Im sueing:no

Back
Top Bottom