Lightest Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Footnote: as a diver I tend to feel discriminated against. Skiiers get special allowances to hump their gear on planes - why don't we?

I am told mountaineers even cut the handles off their toothbrushes to save weight.

Sure, at least that used to be a popular thing to do. Backpackers, not so much mountaineers, are really into weight shaving these days. Having been an avid backpacker (and some mountaineering) for about 30 years, I tend to view the current obsession with a few grams here and there as a little silly. But, there is some validity to being as light as possible when carrying everything you use for days at a time, usually up some pretty big hills.

For diving it makes no sense at all. I've seen people spend hundreds so that they can possibly avoid paying an extra $50-75 in baggage fees once or twice a year, and in the process compromise choices in dive gear. And believe me, there are MANY ways to minimize luggage weight aside from buying "travel" scuba gear. Leave an extra pair of shoes at home, carry much smaller quantities of toiletries, whatever, and most important in terms of weight, get lighter luggage.

If I absolutely had to put together the lightest dive gear bag I could, I'd start with either the oxycheq ultra light plate and wing, or the DSS kydex plate and tropical wing, with a couple of camband pockets. I'd absolutely choose the regulator I wanted to dive with, it's not worth buying a "travel" reg, but I do like the myflex hose idea. I'd still use a 5ft hose. I'd get a small SPG and a small wristwatch computer that I'd wear. I'd use full foot fins, (unless I needed booties for protection) leave the snorkel at home, bring one mask, either a tiny line cutter or shears, no knife, wrist compass, plastic finger spool/small SMB, plastic whistle, dive light w/no batteries if needed, minimal wetsuit needed, and I think that's it. Then, most importantly, find a simple duffel bag to put everything in, using the wetsuit as padding to protect the reg, light, and mask.

In fact, that's pretty much what I do, except I usually carry a steel plate because I like with diving one with AL tanks, and I take one extra 1st stage and 2nd stage, plus a few tools and repair kits. I've never been even close to excess baggage charges.

I just packed my dive bag for Cozumel:

Aeris Reef Rider BC (medium size, about 6 lbs.) with integrated Air Link alternate air source/inflator;

Oceanic Omega II regulator on long hose including QD hose for Aeris Atmos AI computer/compass (I put the computer itself in my other carry on bag in case I want to check my dive bag) and hose for the power inflator/octo;

1 mm full wet suit;

Closed heel fins;

Tusa Splendive mask;

Tusa imprex snorkle;

Safety sausage;

Wistle;

Swim suit;

Rash guard;

Microfiber towel and comb;

Small magnetic slate;

Gloves;

Mesh dive bag.

Total weight 18lbs.

I could probably save 2 lbs. by going to a wrist mount hoseless AI computer but I don't want to give up the bigger display.

Oceanic AT-4 carry on roller bag: 7 lbs.

Thus, my carry on weight is about 25 Lbs. My daughter has a Zeagle Zeana with Zeagle integrated octo, wrist computer, same carry on bag and she is about 3lbs lighter. 25 lbs. is OK for Hawaiian Airlines carry on limit. For Continental to Cozumel, 40 lbs. is OK for carry on so I add my camera hosing and strobe (Sea & Sea dx 5400, arm, tray and ys-15 auto strobe about 4 Lbs.); and my save-a-dive kit (about 1 Lb.) which brings me up to about 30 Lbs. The only real problem is that the so called carry on roller bag is about 3" wider and 5" thicker (external pockets) than the technical carry on limits but no one has stopped us yet.

We had to switch to this system because we used to check everything (both sets of warm water gear) in a Tusa RD-2(?) roller bag (a great inexpensive bag btw). Everything came to 49 lbs. dry. Hawaiian Airlines one free bag limit was 50 lbs. and they did weigh every checked bag. However, on the return or interisland trip if our gear was still somewhat wet we were always over by a few pounds resulting in an excess baggage fee so we decided to split up our gear into two bags and go carry on. It has saved us quite a bit of time leaving the airports not having to wait at baggage claim and getting to the hotel.

The only thing we miss are our dive knives. If I were to do it over again I would just use a cheap one compartment roller carry on bag from Target. It would fit the carry on limits better and weigh less.

If I absolutely had to put together the lightest dive gear bag I could, I'd start with either the oxycheq ultra light plate and wing, or the DSS kydex plate and tropical wing, with a couple of camband pockets. I'd absolutely choose the regulator I wanted to dive with, it's not worth buying a "travel" reg, but I do like the myflex hose idea. I'd still use a 5ft hose. I'd get a small SPG and a small wristwatch computer that I'd wear. I'd use full foot fins, (unless I needed booties for protection) leave the snorkel at home, bring one mask, either a tiny line cutter or shears, no knife, wrist compass, plastic finger spool/small SMB, plastic whistle, dive light w/no batteries if needed, minimal wetsuit needed, and I think that's it. Then, most importantly, find a simple duffel bag to put everything in, using the wetsuit as padding to protect the reg, light, and mask.

interesting, that is pretty much the result of my own "weight saving initiative".
but I still take two masks, and a spare reg (1st/2nd)

Aeris Reef Rider is the only BCD that I have owned and 139 dives later, love it. It is only 2.5Kg but has a couple of large storage pockets. With the bladder at the back, it works more like a wing than a conventional BCD. Using balancing weights in the back pockets gives you the perfect position duing descent, swimming and ascent.

Footnote: as a diver I tend to feel discriminated against. Skiiers get special allowances to hump their gear on planes - why don't we?
Hear hear, but we do....on some airlines.

Most Dive charter flights have a good allowance for dive kit and if you do get over the weight, the rate of excess baggage charge is a lot lower than ordinary luggage.

Some scheduled airlines - British Airways, Virgin Atlantic etc allow scuba kit upto 32Kg free of charge in addition to normal check-in allowance. Others, like Singapore Airlines, have subsidised rates for diving kit. But you are right - golfers and skiiers enjoy preferential treatment.

For those of you who check your bags (I gave up on that last year) I have a question. Are you having more problems making connecting flights than before? How about delays having to clear customs reentering the US on a connecting flight. Frequently (especially from Mexico) we had to get our dive bag from the luggage carosel and take it through inspection, then recheck it for the next leg. This took a lot of time made it immposible to catch a connecting flight unless the layover was very long. That was the last straw leading me to go carry on. Have any of you had similar experiences?

Back
Top Bottom