Lightweight BCD - Suggestions ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the scubapro geo, 4.5 pounds, once it's on you hardly notice it's a travel BC.

I dive regularly with a oceanic islander 2. Its a back inflate, about 5lbs and durable. I have others but prefer the oceanic. It has about 125 dives on it and its still good as the day I bought it.

I dive regularly with a oceanic islander 2. Its a back inflate, about 5lbs and durable. I have others but prefer the oceanic. It has about 125 dives on it and its still good as the day I bought it.

I have the Oceanic Islander 1. Three years and 150+ dives and still looks new. I can put it, boots, 3 mm wetsuit, reg and computer, mask all in my carryon.

The Zeagle Express Tech may work for you. It has a fabric backplate so it like a BC. You can add pockets and padding and customize it.

Aeris EX100 $300 although you may find it cheaper... I paid $214 with shipping.

• Padded backpack with carry handle, although I've dumped the pad (not needed)
  • hard tank cradle (vs soft double band cradle which I don't like at all)
  • Sternum strap with safety whistle
  • Multiple accessory attachment points (plastic but very durable and lighter than SS)
  • High lift capacity
  • 420 nylon no-fade material (it will take a pounding)
  • 3 over pressure relief valves (all work great)
  • 2 large zippered pockets
  • Weight integrated w/ positive locking buckles, (20 lbs dumpable weight, 10 non-dumpable)
  • Depth compensating, adjustable cummerbund
  • Tank hanging strap for consistent tank mounting
  • weighs about 7 lbs depending on size (light enough to take on a trip, durable enough to dive NE)
  • an underrated great value BC if you are into jacket type, well made, perfect for trips and local diving (which I've done)
  • only thing I didn't like was the velcro sealed trim pockets... I sewed positive locking straps and buckles to the trim pockets
  • I added a Scubapro style tank holder and crotch strap and never looked back (I am perfectly trimmed & comfortable, ymmv)

(EX200 for back inflate)

hi wantonmien

i just saw this post so want to share my experience

i am a recreational diver, a so-called UW photographer too and dive mostly warm waters. i am not a TUSA seller!
i am using TUSA Voyager. not a perfect BCD but the price is very reasonable for a light (comparable to many BP/W), very durable BCD.
materials are combination of 800/400 denier nylon. thick/thin at the right places. nicely padded for your comfort.
ample pockets to keep your stuffs, and many D-rings too. you can tug your SPG into a special pocket which is a cool feature.
i put my sausage, snorkel, writing slate, macro lens, gloves, everything inside those pockets!!! no need to turn myself into a christmas tree. it comes with a set of simple integrated weight pouch.
doesnt have a velcro cummerbund and with the self adjustable waist buckle, you will feel less squeeze unlike "normal" BCD.
it has 2 tank bands so your tank wont wobble. one of the best tank bands I have ever used.
it is a hybrid BCD, you get the best of both worlds.
the downside of this BCD is zippers, d-rings are made of plastics to reduce weight.
well, with the price I pay for this BCD, I am a happy man.
make sure you get the correct size! and try to google ScubaLab/ScubaDiving review for this BCD.

Last edited:
I picked up a Zeagle Scout and have been very happy. I only wear about 6 pounds of lead with a 3mm suit so I just drop that in the trim pockets on the pack and away I go.

The pockets are large enough (barely) to hold a 6' DAN sausage and finger spool, and a light in the other one. It feels much like a single wing, in that the floatation is out back. The bladder is secured with bungies so it dumps quickly. It has lots of D-rings which come in handy for clipping of cameras and stuff.

Over the past two years, I've used this on 6 trips (including 2 liveaboards) so it's had a reasonable amount of use and it's holding up well. If I lost it tomorrow, I'd buy another one...

Scout - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

I ended up with an Aqualung Zuma - only used for 12 dives so far.

Nice though, when first using it felt like I'd forgotten to put normal BCD on, as there are no 'side' sections on it, integrated weight pockets at front are more secure than the normal Mares BCD I use, and seems well made.

Only complaint on the Zuma, there is only one pocket which I wish was a little larger as I cannot get my torch into it :-(

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom