line arrows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI:
:doctor:
Thats right Tie right into the line arrow, gives you immediate reference. You can help yourself by using a plastic hair braid ball at the end of your loop of your line, and then put a second small loop into the line that would permit you to pull the line off the arrow when you are wearing thick gloves. (I recommend that you cut the finger tips out of the gloves so that you can feel the line - for those who dive cold water wrecks) In short you have the main line loop and a small loop with a ball that will habg down when tied and allow you to easily pull the line off the arrow when needed to.

Does that make sense
anyway arrows are life savers use them

If you need examples of this stuff go to www.iucrr.org mainly cave stuff but still applicable

You hit the nail on the head guys.. Lloyd Bailey taught me this in my intro to cave class.. you should always tie into a line arrow when you tie a reel off to the main line for two major reasons: 1) it will help prevent your line from sliding up and down the main line, which could lead to line traps or in rare cases of small angles slack line. 2) and most importantly, in an emergency you can become disoriented. when you make it back to the main line, you don't want to have to figure out which side of the line is the exit. Tieing into a line arrow prevents that. If you've got a good angle, like a solid perpendicular offshoot and are realllly certain your tie in won't be sliding, a closepin on the exit side of your line works fine too, and can be much quicker. Closepins are also good for taking permanent offshoot lines (in the cases that you find one) that aren't marked. Besides, you never know if that marker that's there isn't someone else's who's ahead of you, and when you come back, it's gone. It can never hurt to be redundant and place a line marker or closepin. It's fast, easy, and could save your life.

holy mackerel, you resurrected a two-year-old thread

:wink:

question: do you use an arrow when you first tie into the main line (i.e. when
you are starting your dive)?

I would tend to say no, the difference & reason being the fact that when you get to the junction of the two lines you will find a reel, which you should be able to identify as yours, and that is what you will follow to OW. No need for a line arrow.

don't use logic with me, man

scubafool:
(smacks himself on the forehead) Forgive me, whatever was I thinking! Geesh, sometimes I feel SO stupid!

You know, I was just searching for something else, and I never noticed the date on the thread. It was probably done with it's two year vacation anyway.

Yeah, the reel will be there, and in addition, you'd always be coming down the mainline back to your reel junction, not from your primary reel to the mainline wondering which way was out.

and for the sake of everyone, lets keep the logic to a minimum.

-s

Yes, on some deep wrecks at 200 plus, and you are doing exploration. The uss Wilksbarre, in the keys is 210 back deck to 250 at the sand, Top of rear superstruture is at 140, length is 300ft from between stacks. You have many corridors,deck levels and lateral compartments.There are lines in there from back in the early 80's.
Capt. Tom

O-ring:
Unless you are leaving permanent lines in wrecks what would you use them for?

Permanent lines should NEVER be left inside of wrecks. While it is ok to temporarily place base lines while doing an exploration or survey they should always be retreived when the project is completed. Wrecks are not like caves. Wrecks are living things. They move; bulkheads and decks collapse; lines get trapped and lines get buried in debris. A "permanent" line can soon become obstructed to the point that it can not be followed. If a diver finds himself lost and tries to follow an old "permanent" line it may just lead him into a dead end.

Back
Top Bottom