Lion- and scorpionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gral

Registered
Reaction score
Spent a week in the Red Sea taking photos on the house reef while snorkeling with some occasional dives. I always get excited when I manage to spot Scorpionfish but I find it hard, especially while snorkelling. During the week I noticed several times that when I found lion fish (usually 2 or 3 together), then right next to them, a Scorpiofish! Or the other way around, I never saw a scorpionfish without Lionfish next to it.

So, do they for some reason stick together or was it just pure chance? Maybe they just like to hang out at the same type of spots on the reef and it was pure chance? Anyone knows?

Here's a pic. They are beautiful!

P1070140.jpeg

.. Maybe they just like to hang out at the same type of spots on the reef ...
We hunt ALOT of lionfish on the Florida Jupiter & West Palm reefs. The scorpionfish (& related family) about 50% of the time be at the same spot as lionfish. But there are some differences....

*) Scorpionfish like to hunt solo and will fight / chase off other scorpionfish that try to lay silent near their target area. So you'll usually only see one of them,, not multiples as they lay silent on the floor.

*) Lionfish float higher above the scorpionfish by about 1 foot at the same spot but LF's will often hunt in groups of 2-5 and many times almost touching each other. Since the scorpion can't ?jump? that quickly, that high they just settle for targets a mere couple of inches directly infront of them.

*) The lionfish will extend their fins and 'push' the fry fish targets towards the back hole or reef floor to strike. Then it's a game of chance of who wins > Lionfish / Scorpion / Fry escapes.

*) If a scorpionfish sees us harvest an LF, they will immediately reposition to that spot cause that's where the fry were. If there's a 2nd/3rd LF near, I'll bopp the scorpion on it's tail to chase him off because he will attack my hand/spear. Even if chased off a couple of inches, they'll flip around and re-attack my hand. It can take a couple of tail swats before they give up.

*) ANY fight brings in unwanted other fish that want to fight. Triggers, moray's, & sharks. If there's a cloud of sand/silt from a harvest/fight, it's in my best interest to get the LF and then leave the cloud of sand/silt and move away. This also holds true to lobster in the hole. don't spend more than 60 seconds, or expect company to join you at the dinner spot.......and you may be the main course.

juplion.jpg

Thanks for that explanation. I rarely have the chance to dive in the Caribbean/Florida but do understand you have huge problem with Lionfish...

I take it as there actually could be a correlation. Interesting!

Happy hunting and be safe!

Is that dude parading all proud with his fine catch or did he fall over, or asleep, is it a competition photo

Back
Top Bottom