Lionfish Containment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The flapper is designed with a gap that will retain a golf ball. As mentioned, lionfish smaller than a golf ball are not normally collected for food..

Still a smart idea to take them out.

Yes I understand your point. But it's not ONLY about collecting them for food. In the lionfish derbies and other tournaments there is often a prize for smallest lionfish. I've had many swim out of the other containment device which has a much smaller opening. Plus if you really want to clear the area you must take all of them big and small. They will survive a few pokes with a polespear.

What you have will certainly work in most cases.
Either way - good on you for providing a product that helps eradicate these damn things. Keep up the good work.

A number of years ago whilst at Roatan, I was on a lionfish hunt dive. A couple of the locals carried plastic buckets with spin on lids. The plastic lids were sliced like a pie from the centre out. That way a shove of the spear put the fish in and a pull back kept the fish in but released the spear tip. Probably didn't cost a thing as the buckets were repurposed.

Think this may have been what you were referring to - ooks extremely bulky but gets the job done - way too much drag IMHO.

Want the perfect Lionfish Catch Container? Check out our How-To video on Youtube | Florida Dive Connection - Florida SCUBA Diving News and Information

This was more of what I was referring to - add a snapbolt or bungie to the aft end to keep it off the reef/streamline your profile and you're good to go.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-hunting/385072-new-lionfish-containment-device.html

Nothing against Zookeeper or the Mako units - There's a market and I applaud them for their efforts. Not everyone is or wants to be handy and build their own.

I ended up making my own out of some acrylic tubing and a plastic funnel. I don't like the flapper design for lionfish, there's still a chance you can get zapped. This is a poor design in my opinion and too short for lobster use.

Back
Top Bottom